10 Gallon Tank Cycling

Tanz

Is anyone here to help me plz I'm new in this hobby
I bought a 10-gallon tank and I try to cycle my tank is over a month I try everything. Fish In cycle, fishless cycle. I try-top fin water conditioner, Prime, stability, API quick start but I didn't see anything is working I just have 1ppm ammonia same like a month no nitrite nitrates...btw I'm using API master water test kit
What just happen in my tank why I didn't see any result..help me guys....is anyone living in Michigan.

jdhef

Part of your problem may be inpatience. All of the different medthods/products may have set you back. It generally takes about 3 weeks once ammonia is present, for the ammonia level to drop and nitrites to start climbing.

One other thing is if you have a pH to close to 6.0, you may nevber be able to cycle the tank. As the pH gets below 7.0, toxic ammonia start converting into not so toxic (some claim non-toxic) ammonium. By the time your pH get down to 6.0, all ammonia has been converted into ammonium.

The good thing anout ammonium is it's low toxitiy. The bad thing about ammonium is that it is a terrible food for the ammonia converting bacteria, so that bacteria will not develop due to lack of food.

Dunk2

Tanz said:
Is anyone here to help me plz I'm new in this hobby
I bought a 10-gallon tank and I try to cycle my tank is over a month I try everything. Fish In cycle, fishless cycle. I try-top fin water conditioner, Prime, stability, API quick start but I didn't see anything is working I just have 1ppm ammonia same like a month no nitrite nitrates...btw I'm using API master water test kit
What just happen in my tank why I didn't see any result..help me guys....is anyone living in Michigan.
jdhef mentioned low pH, but if it’s in your post I’m not seeing it.

Do you know the pH of your tank and tap water?

jdhef

Dunk2 said:

Ooops...I left the word "if" out. I have edited my post to include it.

Tanz

jdhef said:
Part of your problem may be inpatience. All of the different medthods/products may have set you back. It generally takes about 3 weeks once ammonia is present, for the ammonia level to drop and nitrites to start climbing.

One other thing is if you have a pH to close to 6.0, you may nevber be able to cycle the tank. As the pH gets below 7.0, toxic ammonia start converting into not so toxic (some claim non-toxic) ammonium. By the time your pH get down to 6.0, all ammonia has been converted into ammonium.

The good thing anout ammonium is it's low toxitiy. The bad thing about ammonium is that it is a terrible food for the ammonia converting bacteria, so that bacteria will not develop due to lack of food.
[/QUOT
jdhef said:

my tap water PH is 7.5,and
jdhef said:

Ph=7.5
Temperature=78F
Ammonia=1ppm
Nitrite and nitrate=0
First I use API quick start 3 weeks I didn't see any result then I'm using prime, stability
Dunk2 said:

Ph 7.5

JeremyW

Let's make sure we're all on the same page here:
  • So you were previously doing a fish-in cycle. But now you're doing a fishless cycle. Correct?
  • When did you start your fishless cycle?
  • How are you dosing ammonia?
And don't add any more products for a bit. Let us get a handle on the situation first.

Tanz

JeremyW said:
Let's make sure we're all on the same page here:
  • So you were previously doing a fish-in cycle. But now you're doing a fishless cycle. Correct?
  • When did you start your fishless cycle?
  • How are you dosing ammonia?
And don't add any more products for a bit. Let us get a handle on the situation first.
Yeah before I was doing a fish-in cycle then my fish are dead so I start doing a fishless cycle, it's almost 3weeks I'm doing fishless cycle I'm using food flakes, prime, stability but I didn't see improving ammonia is 0.50-1ppm no nitrite or nitrate I measure water with API master kit, water temperature is 84F, Ph 7.5, everything looks ok but why I didn't see any nitrite or nitrate....
What should I do??

JeremyW

You should keep doing what you are doing, and wait.

If it hasn't been 3 full weeks yet, then what you are experiencing is normal. In my experience it takes around 3 weeks to see your ammonia drop the first time. Could be more, could be less. Its not an exact science.

If you get to 4 weeks with no change, then we can start to troubleshoot. But until then, we shouldn't assume there is a problem.

darkcat

You can do a 50% water change if your ammonia and nitrites add up to 1. For example, 0.25 ammonia and 0.75 nitrites. I did it that way in my fish in cycle.

JeremyW

darkcat said:
You can do a 50% water change if your ammonia and nitrites add up to 1. For example, 0.25 ammonia and 0.75 nitrites. I did it that way in my fish in cycle.
Not necessary for a fishless cycle though.

But I do think water changes should be done if any of the levels start reading close to the maximum levels on the API chart.

Tanz

Ok finally today I see the nitrite is 1ppm, ammonia 0.50ppm and nitrate looks 1-2ppm...Thanks, Jeremy
So what should I do now, add more ammonia?
Or add only prime and stability?

GuppyGal7

Tanz said:
my tap water PH is 7.5,and

Ph=7.5
Temperature=78F
Ammonia=1ppm
Nitrite and nitrate=0
First I use API quick start 3 weeks I didn't see any result then I'm using prime, stability

Ph 7.5
Did you only start using prime after 3 weeks? Without dechlorinator the bacteria can't grow because of the chlorine. Although after 3 weeks your water should have been fine. Where you doing water changes?

Tanz

GuppyGal7 said:
Did you only start using prime after 3 weeks? Without dechlorinator the bacteria can't grow because of the chlorine. Although after 3 weeks your water should have been fine. Where you doing water changes?
I’m doing fishless cycle so I didn't change any water I didn't think it's needed before I use top fin water conditioner and API quick start and it didn't work.....
So start using prime and stability and I see the result in 3weeks I start seeing nitrites and some nitrate
JeremyW said:
You should keep doing what you are doing, and wait.

If it hasn't been 3 full weeks yet, then what you are experiencing is normal. In my experience it takes around 3 weeks to see your ammonia drop the first time. Could be more, could be less. Its not an exact science.

If you get to 4 weeks with no change, then we can start to troubleshoot. But until then, we shouldn't assume there is a problem.
Ok finally today I see the nitrite is 1ppm, ammonia 0.50ppm and nitrate looks 1-2ppm...Thanks, Jeremy

JeremyW

Tanz said:
Yeah you could add a bit more ammonia. But go easy with it. Its going to take a while before your nitrite levels start to go down.

If your nitrite tests start showing dark purple, then do a water change. Dark purple can mean 5ppm or 20ppm. You have no way of knowing. Use water changes to keep all your levels on the chart so that you can always see what is happening.

mattgirl

Gonna butt in for just a second

I notice you keep saying you are adding Prime and Stability. Stability is bacteria a bottle. Prime is a water conditioner and should only be used when doing a water change or top off for evaporated water.

I actually don't recommend using prime as your water conditioner when doing a fishless cycle. We really don't need to detox the ammonia while doing one. Any of the many water conditioners will work just as well. Since you've got it you may as well use it but only when doing a water change to remove the chlorine/chloramines from the tap water.

I now put you back into JeremyW 's capable hands

Tanz

JeremyW said:
Yeah you could add a bit more ammonia. But go easy with it. Its going to take a while before your nitrite levels start to go down.

If your nitrite tests start showing dark purple, then do a water change. Dark purple can mean 5ppm or 20ppm. You have no way of knowing. Use water changes to keep all your levels on the chart so that you can always see what is happening.
For ammonia I'm using fish food, how often should I add More ammonia?

JeremyW

Tanz said:
I've always used pure ammonia, so I'm afraid I can't give you any specific advice about how often to add fish food. Maybe someone else could chime in on that.

But in general you want to keep some ammonia in the tank most of the time. So definitely add fish food whenever you measure 0 ammonia. Any advice I give beyond that wouldn't be backed up with any experience.

mattgirl

Tanz said:
When using fish food alone you will have to depend on what your ammonia test is telling you. As long as the fish food already in there is still producing ammonia hold off on adding more. If the ammonia level starts dropping and is getting close to zero add more. That is as close an estimate as I can give you. If after adding more, your ammonia zero's out and stays there and you are seeing no nitrites it could mean your cycle is done.

Tanz

Ph went down to 6.8
Do I need to change the water??

JeremyW

Tanz said:
Ph went down to 6.8
Do I need to change the water??
Yeah, I'd do a water change.

Latest threads

Top Bottom