Cycling

SBarrett312

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi I just got a new 36 gallon tank. I was wondering if someone could give me a simple step by step explanation on how to cycle it. Thanks.

GuppyDazzle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've cycled 25+ tanks in my day. I always used feeder goldfish and 25% water changes every other day, using Prime for the replacement water. No additives. I kept an eye on the water with an API Master Test Kit, testing on the days I didn't change water. The cycle went just like it was supposed to. Ammonia shows up for a week or so, then nitrites show up and ammonia goes down, a while later ammonia's gone, nitrites start going down, then nitrates show up. It took five or six weeks and the tanks were cycled. The water change schedule left enough ammonia to let the bacteria establish, but diluted enough the fish did not have any bad effects. Total duration was five or six weeks.

I recommend either fish-in cycling or with pure ammonia, without any cycle starters, boosters, or other additives. There are people who recommend some kind of additive, which I know works for some people. But good gravy, lots of people have bad problems getting their cycles going with additives. You can tell that from reading the questions on this forum about cycling problems.

Tommy1284

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I just got done cycling my 36 gallon bow front. I used 10 guppies and 2 mollys. I used prime and stability. I did my water changes when needed and the tank was fully cycled in 3-4 weeks. Didn’t lose a fish. I would deffently get the api master text kit as stated above .

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom