Cycling With Water Only?

1. Z

Z123Killer Well Known Member Member

I will be using pure ammonia to cycle my aquarium but the ammonia will take some time to ship, in that meantime, can I just set up my aquarium with all the equipment, substrate and water till the ammonia arrives, or will it be bad to just let water sit by itself with no ammonia in it?

2. Tri5guy

Tri5guy Valued Member Member

In my opinion, if your water is moving with a running filter or air stone, it will be fine. I cycle for a week at a time for water changes. Ive never had any issues. Its not like it sitting for weeks and months to grow stagnant or anything IMO. But hey, stranger things have happened! Lol

3. MaddieTaylah

MaddieTaylah Well Known Member Member

It won't be bad, it just won't do anything. If you want to start your cycle before your ammonia arrives, you could try feeding the tank a little bit of fish food or putting a raw shrimp in there to get the ammonia source going, otherwise just leaving the tank running will be fine.

4. Monrankim

Monrankim New Member Member

You know there is a very simple and easy way to start the cycle... Put -a little- urine in it. Your probably going to be repulsed by the concept but the difference from having a fish go potty in the water or you putting 5ml or so into the water is next to none. Urine is sterile.

5. AngelTheGypsy

AngelTheGypsy Fishlore VIP Member

I set up my tank about 3 weeks before I started cycling. Everything was fine and bonus! Due to .5 ppm ammonia in my tap water I had 2 ppm nitrite in my tank when I got home from vacation!
    If you do fill it, I would suggest running your filter

6. F

Florian Pellet Well Known Member Member

Srsly ?!

7. AngelTheGypsy

It's gross but he's right...I wouldn't start with 5 ml though.

8. MaddieTaylah

It's really not necessary to use urine when there are other methods that work and aren't disgusting.

9. F

Plus I rarely want to pee that little.

10. MaddieTaylah

Plus the urine isn't pure ammonia and therefore will have many other unwanted toxins.

11. F

Is that why public swimming pools rarely have any live fish ?

12. Monrankim

Which toxins? It's not ammonia but rather urea. The body converts ammonia to urea, and is converts back to ammonia, especially in harder water. It is one of the principal ingredients in nitrogen supplements such as flourish nitrogen and as well as non aquatic fertilizer.

13. MaddieTaylah

I meant byproducts & there are many such as sugar, bacteria etc.

14. Monrankim

Gotcha, just curious. I'm not an expert on pee lol I was just kicking myself when I went through all the trouble of tracking down custodial ammonia back when I started out. I could have used a piece of raw shrimp and been fine too

15. AngelTheGypsy

The ammonia was a good choice. Raw shrimp or other substances(human urine) can introduce things to your tank you don't want. Others are inconsistent (fish food). Pure ammonia is the "cleanest" and most efficient, most exact, way to do a fishless cycle. You know exactly how much ammonia you are dosing and processing.

16. BeanFish

BeanFish Well Known Member Member

I guess it is time to throw flourish to the garbage can and start diluting my pee in water. Free ferts! Yay!

17. Monrankim

I respect your opinion but I don't really understand. I don't think there is much in human pee or a small piece of shrimp that isn't in fish waste. I'm sure if your ingesting large amounts of pharmaceuticals and peeing out metabolites that would be one thing. But if you actually look at the chemical composition of urine you will find pretty much the same thing in an all-in-one aquarium plant fertilizer with the exception of creatine. Fish pee through their gills and when they do they excrete creatine and urea

I wouldn't use it for fertilizer though but it wouldn't put anything in the water column that would not break down into the nitrogen cycle or at least make it out on the next water change

18. BeanFish

I haven't done tests on my urine but I know that most of it is water and while it does contain ammonia salts, proteins and some stuff like potassium I would still not add it to my tank. It may mess my pH up for example.

19. Monrankim

I haven't tested any urine either. I just Googled do fish pee, the chemical composition of urine and the chemical composition of fish poop

20. BeanFish

Fish pee and poop, humans do the same, but humans eat a lot of different stuff fish don't.
    I just find it unsafe to pee in a tank lol.