Cycling With Tss+

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Pisces14, Apr 12, 2017.

1. P

Pisces14 New Member Member

So about three to four weeks ago I tried using TSS+ to cycle. I did a water change, dosed with prime then waited till the next day about 22-24 hours later. Now I'm not sure if I did something wrong but 6 days after I had really high ammonia so I did a pwc about 25% and the following week 50%. Now as I've gotten my ammonia down I check my levels and I have 0-0.25 ppm ammonia 5.0 ppm nitrite and 5.0 ppm nitrate. I just did a 50% water change 4 days ago. I want to re dose with prime in case I did something wrong previously, so how much water should I change? And should I even re dose?

2. peppy210

peppy210 Valued Member Member

If you use TSS+, it is recommended not to test the water/do water changes for a couple weeks because it will give false readings, etc.
    I recommend you look at this if you haven't already: Q & A With Tetra about Tetra SafeStart
    It answers a lot of questions about how to use TSS/TSS+ (To my knowledge, they're the same except TSS+ has more bacteria in it)

3. OP
    OP
    P

I read two weeks but it's been 3 so I'm not
    Sure what to do now

That's why I panicked and did a wc based
    On the reading so now I'm wondering if I should start over and re dose

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2017
  4. peppy210

peppy210 Valued Member Member

It doesn't hurt to add more. I add it sometimes when I do large water changes or add/cleam filter media.
    Your tank is in the middle of cycling and it seems to be working since nitrates are starting to show up.
    If you add more, you'll be adding more bacteria which will help boost the cycling process. You can also just wait it out until the ammonia and nitrites go to 0.
    Don't start over since you got the tank to start cycling. TSS doesn't always cycle the tank within 2 weeks. It might just be taking a bit longer for you depending on different factors that can be effecting it, but it's not a bad thing

5. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

6. OP
    OP
    P

Fish in

Ok thank you! But should I continue doing water changes, if so how often and what percent should I be changing

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2017
  7. KimberlyG

KimberlyG Fishlore VIP Member

Thank you for posting that link. It was very informative. Some people will be able to use it more effectively. I will stay away from it. The levels they say are acceptable, I'm not comfortable with without binding the ammonia and nitrites. I know a lot of people here use it and like it, but for me, going by their representative's explanation of the product, I am throwing away money because I will continue to use Prime.

8. el337

Is this your 29g? What fish and how many do you have? And if those are your current parameters in post 1, you'll want to do a couple of back to back large water changes of at least 50% to bring down those nitrites as they are really too high and toxic to your fish.

Since you have Prime, I would use that to help protect your fish while cycling. Also, TSS+ is designed to work with a small bioload (1-2 small fish per 10g) because of the "no water changes for 2 weeks" rule. If you have more than 3-4 small fish, I'd use Seachem Stability which will allow you to do water changes while it provides the necessary bacteria to cycle the tank.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  9. OP
    OP
    P

Yes it is my 29G I currently have 1 dwarf gourami, 1 black molly, and 2 guppies. Thank you and how often do you recommend those 50% water changes?

10. el337

Since you have more than the recommended bioload to be used with TSS+, it might be why TSS+ failed. With that bioload, it's not a surprise that you're seeing ammonia/nitrite spikes especially when water changes weren't done those first few days.

I would do those back to back water changes right away. High nitrites can cause brown blood disease in fish. Do a 50% water change, test again, and do another one 30 min later. Repeat until ammonia and nitrite are down close to 0. Then tomorrow test again and if ammonia+nitrite are less than 1, you can dose Prime for the full tank volume without a water change. If >1, do at least a 50% water change to bring them under. Feed lightly (every other day and just a pinch of food) so that you limit the ammonia output. I would also pick up a bottle of Seachem Stability as mentioned to help you cycle the tank. Follow the dosage instructions on the bottle.

It would also be a good idea to test your water source for your baseline readings.

11. KeeperOfASilentWorld

KeeperOfASilentWorld Well Known Member Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice