Cycling With Seachem Stability Questions

BettaBliss

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hello!
I have a 20 gallon long tank with a single 3 inch common goldfish in it (Yes I know this is too small, I am currently working on finding him a pond) and I have a 10 gallon tank with one male betta. Both tanks are filtered and the betta tank is heated. Both tanks were started around the same time in late January. Both tanks are still uncycled (long story, I didn't plan to get the betta and I had thought I had an instant cycle on the goldfish tank) So I purchased some Seachem Stability yesterday so my tanks can cycle. I haven't added the Stability yet though because I have some questions. I also use Prime as my water conditioner.
I've been doing 25-40% water changes on each tank every 3-5 days for a while now, and I recently found out that I should be doing 25% water changes every day instead. So I'd like to start with the Stability, but should I wait a while and do daily water changes for a while first? I didn't measure the perameters of the tanks today, but every time I do, both tanks show:
Ammonia: 0-.25 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 0-5 ppm
Should I start Stability today? If yes, than Should I do water changes first? My last water change on both tanks was 2-3 days ago. Should I follow the directions on the bottle, or is there a better way?
Thank you!

Fishbeard

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I followed the directions when I cycled my 20 gallon high with Seachem Stability. I'd start it ASAP, especially if they haven't cycled in 2 months...

You can do the water changes and use Prime with Stability, so do everything you would normally, maybe increase the water changes for the time being.

BettaBliss

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Fishbeard said:
I followed the directions when I cycled my 20 gallon high with Seachem Stability. I'd start it ASAP, especially if they haven't cycled in 2 months...

You can do the water changes and use Prime with Stability, so do everything you would normally, maybe increase the water changes for the time being.
Thanks for your help! Should I do a water change and then start with Stabilty today then? Also, can I do water changes during Stabilty? Is there any sort of filter media I need to take out of my filters?

Tiny_Tanganyikans

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Follow the stability instructions. Testing daily, once in the morning and once in the evening, if you notice any spikes use prime at 5x normal dose every 24 hours until levels are normal.

I personally do not do a water change for the first week using stability. You don't want to remove any media as this is where the bacteria from stability will colonize.

After a week you should have a healthy colony of nitrifying bacteria, you don't have an extreme bioload so it shouldn't spike too bad as long as you're not over feeding. Depending on water chemistry and other factors it may take up to two weeks to "cycle". If you are still having high ammonia or nitrite levels after two weeks there's something else wrong

jmarks

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Honestly, I am would be willing to bet that you are closer to it or even actually are cycled. Low ammonia readings are common on established tanks using the API test kit (think about it, ammonia doesnt convert the very second fish produce it)....you dont have nitrites and you are producing nitrates....with that many water changes and only one fish in each tank, i wouldnt expect much more. With only one fish your ammonia load will be low resulting in less nitrates.

BettaBliss

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Tiny_Tanganyikans said:
Follow the stability instructions. Testing daily, once in the morning and once in the evening, if you notice any spikes use prime at 5x normal dose every 24 hours until levels are normal.

I personally do not do a water change for the first week using stability. You don't want to remove any media as this is where the bacteria from stability will colonize.

After a week you should have a healthy colony of nitrifying bacteria, you don't have an extreme bioload so it shouldn't spike too bad as long as you're not over feeding. Depending on water chemistry and other factors it may take up to two weeks to "cycle". If you are still having high ammonia or nitrite levels after two weeks there's something else wrong
Thank you for you help!
jmarks said:
Honestly, I am would be willing to bet that you are closer to it or even actually are cycled. Low ammonia readings are common on established tanks using the API test kit (think about it, ammonia doesnt convert the very second fish produce it)....you dont have nitrites and you are producing nitrates....with that many water changes and only one fish in each tank, i wouldnt expect much more. With only one fish your ammonia load will be low resulting in less nitrates.
Thank you!! It would be great if it turns out my tanks are cycled, but I thought cycled tanks get a much higher Nitrate reading then I've been getting. What should I do?

Fishbeard

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
The Seachem Stability won't hurt your current BB, which I agree, you have at least some built up already. Since you already have it, might as well use it. It'll probably help you sleep better at night!

jmarks

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Glorious Goldfish said:
Thank you for you help!

Thank you!! It would be great if it turns out my tanks are cycled, but I thought cycled tanks get a much higher Nitrate reading then I've been getting. What should I do?
Your ammonia source is so low (single fish) that it should take awhile before nitrates shoot up. If you seeing small amounts of nitrates, good then you are successfully converting ammonia to nitrates (unless of course your tap water is the same) test nitrates of both (tank vs tap) side by side and make sure there is an obvious difference..if so, your cycled

BettaBliss

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Fishbeard said:
The Seachem Stability won't hurt your current BB, which I agree, you have at least some built up already. Since you already have it, might as well use it. It'll probably help you sleep better at night!
Thank you!! I'll add it to the tanks today!
jmarks said:
Your ammonia source is so low (single fish) that it should take awhile before nitrates shoot up. If you seeing small amounts of nitrates, good then you are successfully converting ammonia to nitrates (unless of course your tap water is the same) test nitrates of both (tank vs tap) side by side and make sure there is an obvious difference..if so, your cycled
I will test that today!

BettaBliss

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I tested the Nirates of my water samples today. Last water change was yesterday.
Betta tank:
20170317_222159.jpg

Goldfish tank:
20170317_222309.jpg

Tap water:
20170317_222420.jpg

And this last photo is Goldfish, then Betta, then tap water. (I MIGHT have mixed up goldfish and betta in these photos though) I let the test tubes sit for 10 minutes before taking any photos.
20170317_222658.jpg

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom