Question Cycling with Safe Start

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Schiffer

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hello Fellow fish keepers I have a question about cycling with Tetra Safe Start.
I am upgrading to a 30 gallon tank from a ten gallon filled the 30 with RO water,
Using a declorenator, PH adjuster, Electro Right adding Safe Start on 4/24/10 and waiting an hour before adding two red eye tetras, the tank has been cloudy all that time.

Now today 4/30/10 the tank is less cloudy. I forgot to mention that I seeded a piece of filter from the ten gallon tank into the 30 gallon. My chemical reading for the last 5 days

Ammonia 0.25
Nitrite 0 never saw nitrite go up why?
Nitrate 5.0
Ph 7.6

Today

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0 never saw nitrite go up why?
Nitrate 5.0
Ph 7.6

My question is my tank finished cycling in 6 days? I would saw that’s pretty fast
And why I never saw Nitrite go up

Right now Tetras are fine swimming and eating no stress observed and plants are growing

Thanks
Jack

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
1) tests are not accurate during use of TSS
2) pH adjusting chemicals are bad news - they can crash your tank. I suggest discontinuing their use.
3) It is possible that the TSS can work in 6 days. Have you ever checked your tap water for nitrates?

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi Jack, the readings look good.
If you read through out the forum, you'll see it's not unusual to skip the nitrite phase when you seed the tank with used filter media.
I've had that happen to me. My best guess, is the bacteria that process nitrites is hardier than the bacteria that process nitrates.
Like I said, just that's just a guess, I have nothing but my own experience to back that up.
The TSS and media boosted you pretty quick.
Before rushing into stocking more fish, you might want to give it a little more time to be sure.

Congrats!

OP
J

Jack Schiffer

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hello Meenu
I am using the API filter to convert my water to RO water that does take out all the chemicals out of my water PH is 0 so that means I have to adjust for a good cycle to start.Nitrat is 0 Tap water is 10 before filtering.

MindTravel3r

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I might go a week without any water changes and watch the nitrates. Lucy's comments above make sense, you're probably good to go, but I would want to see the nitrates rising to confirm that the cycle is complete. You probably won't see a significant increase with only two tetras in the tank, but should see some increase.

Also, I would second what Meenu said about staying away from chemicals to adjust pH. As long as you acclimate the fish slowly, they will adjust to the pH.

MindTravel3r

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Sorry, just missed your note about RO water. I've never used RO water, but I've never heard of pH being 0. I might test the pH of the RO water to see where it measures on the scale.

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm not sure where it was originally stated that testing is inaccurate while using TSS but I haven't found it anywhere while reading through their own statements. It's not advised because of the potential to want to do a water change or add a detox conditioner, but apart from that I think testing is still very important to do, the lives of the fish in the tank depend on it. If for some reason the safestart product does not work properly, whether the product has been mishandled, or if the directions weren't followed explicitly, then the fish in the tank are potentially in danger. The tetra people themselves have said that if the ammonia level gets over 2 to do a partial water change (and redose TSS) to get them back down to a more tolerable level.

As far as not seeing a nitrite spike, yes you may have just missed it, just keep testing a few days and if you continue to see 0 ammonia and >5 nitrates then it looksl ike you are good to go, just add stock very slowly.

OP
J

Jack Schiffer

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hi jethockey
I did follow Tetras directions on how to use Safe Start and crossed my fingers I think taking a small filter cutting from my established tank made the difference. I will wait till next Friday depending on my water readings to add more fish.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'm not sure where it was originally stated that testing is inaccurate while using TSS but I haven't found it anywhere while reading through their own statements. It's not advised because of the potential to want to do a water change or add a detox conditioner, but apart from that I think testing is still very important to do, the lives of the fish in the tank depend on it.
I was told that when I used TSS... but then I did the whole freaking out and doing a water change and adding Prime thing.... that rule/myth was probably made just for me.

OP
J

Jack Schiffer

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So far it's been 15 days since I started cycling with safe start on May 4 2010 I installed
secound established filter and uv sterilizer and the rest of my fish. today may 8 checked
all water parameters are doing fine. fish are happy and eating well. Oh by the way 0 (Neutral) ammonia is labeled as such on the API test card

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 24 23.1%
  • No

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 71 68.3%

Top Bottom