Cycling With Ranchu

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Messages
7,090
Reaction score
3,476
Points
448
Experience
4 years
You're going to have to do much larger water changes to keep the nitrite and ammonia down while cycling. Honestly, with a goldfish, you should be doing 30% daily or 50% every other day. And if those nitrites are really at 5, that fish is in serious danger. You need to do a 50-80% water change pretty much now, and do 50% tomorrow and the day after until you have no ammonia or nitrite. If you have prime, you can dose prime and just keep ammonia and nitrite under 1, but 5 is incredibly dangerous.
 

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Messages
7,090
Reaction score
3,476
Points
448
Experience
4 years
Why do you believe it is slowing down? Water changes do not really slow down a cycle, I've done a fish in cycle in which I did daily water changes to keep the ammonia below 0.25 and it took the normal amount of time (6 weeks, it's normally closer to 8 weeks). You really should get that nitrite down, it's very harmful at that level. Also, the cycle will stall if nitrite gets as high as you had it, so it's possible it did stall a little, but the water changes will help with that. The bacteria is largely housed in the filter media (~95%), which is why it's very important to only wash that in old tank water as tap water will kill it, and about 5% or so is in the gravel and on decorations, so you don't have to worry about water changes harming the cycle. Unless you don't dechlorinate the water you put back in, that will kill the bacteria, and the fish, or I guess if you take hours doing the water change and let the filter media dry out.
 

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Messages
7,090
Reaction score
3,476
Points
448
Experience
4 years
Oh okay, but keep in mind you're also removing nitrate when you do water changes. Try and keep nitrite and ammonia down to at least 0.25ppm, good job on those water changes. If you have prime, however, you can go ahead and dose prime and keep nitrite at 1ppm because the prime will protect the fish
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #9

Stealyouaway269

Valued Member
Messages
160
Reaction score
3
Points
63
Rtessy said:
Oh okay, but keep in mind you're also removing nitrate when you do water changes. Try and keep nitrite and ammonia down to at least 0.25ppm, good job on those water changes. If you have prime, however, you can go ahead and dose prime and keep nitrite at 1ppm because the prime will protect the fish
I use amquel + novaqua , is it same result like prime? ,and do I need use safe start plus together for bacteria?
 

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Messages
7,090
Reaction score
3,476
Points
448
Experience
4 years
Prime is not just a water conditioner because it also neutralizes ammonia and nitrites. Is it the tetra safe start plus? If so, do water changes to get ammonia and nitrite right at zero, dose the tetra safe start and do not do water changes, but do monitor the levels. If the ammonia or nitrite get over 0.50 after the first two days, do a water change and keep monitoring.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #11

Stealyouaway269

Valued Member
Messages
160
Reaction score
3
Points
63
Rtessy said:
Prime is not just a water conditioner because it also neutralizes ammonia and nitrites. Is it the tetra safe start plus? If so, do water changes to get ammonia and nitrite right at zero, dose the tetra safe start and do not do water changes, but do monitor the levels. If the ammonia or nitrite get over 0.50 after the first two days, do a water change and keep monitoring.
The read today is ammonia 0.25 nitrite 0.25 and nitrate 0 . Idk what happen yesterday night Is ammonia 0.25 nitrite 0.50 and nitrate 20. I didnt do wtc until now. I feed the fish very small food 2 times in the morning and at night.
 

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Messages
7,090
Reaction score
3,476
Points
448
Experience
4 years
At least you have some nitrites, it should just be a week or so longer. Good job getting those readings down! It's tough work lol, it shouldn't be too much longer. And I mean, still have the nitrites, because the instance of ammonia along with nitrates generally means a recycling or mini-cycle. I forgot if I asked, do you clean your filter media at all, and if so, how?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #13

Stealyouaway269

Valued Member
Messages
160
Reaction score
3
Points
63
Rtessy said:
At least you have some nitrites, it should just be a week or so longer. Good job getting those readings down! It's tough work lol, it shouldn't be too much longer. And I mean, still have the nitrites, because the instance of ammonia along with nitrates generally means a recycling or mini-cycle. I forgot if I asked, do you clean your filter media at all, and if so, how?
No I didnt clean the filter.
 

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Messages
7,090
Reaction score
3,476
Points
448
Experience
4 years
That's actually good in this case. When you do clean it, make sure to do so in old tank water, just swish the media a bit. But really, it could just be middle of next week and cycled, may take a bit longer, but probably not much longer. Here's hoping!
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #15

Stealyouaway269

Valued Member
Messages
160
Reaction score
3
Points
63
Rtessy said:
That's actually good in this case. When you do clean it, make sure to do so in old tank water, just swish the media a bit. But really, it could just be middle of next week and cycled, may take a bit longer, but probably not much longer. Here's hoping!
Thank So I dont need to do more wtc right?
 

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Messages
7,090
Reaction score
3,476
Points
448
Experience
4 years
Well, you will have to while it continues to cycle. It's going to still be daily, if not every day. They can likely be smaller at this point, try a 25% change today and see how it tests.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #17

Stealyouaway269

Valued Member
Messages
160
Reaction score
3
Points
63
the read on nitrate is 0 because I didnt shake well bottle #2 I did 25% wtc the read today is ammonia 0.25 nitrite 0 nitrate 20.
 

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Messages
7,090
Reaction score
3,476
Points
448
Experience
4 years
Awesome, it's likely a mini cycle at this point, really just a few days, probably not even a whole week.
 

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Messages
7,090
Reaction score
3,476
Points
448
Experience
4 years
A mini cycle is basically something that can occur after a cycle is completed and something either harmed the bacteria or a larger source of ammonia was added and the bacteria couldn't keep up. It is often less severe than the initial cycling, and takes less time to correct it since the beneficial bacteria colonies aren't all dead, they just have to up their numbers a bit, but in most cases the colonies still exist.
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom