Cycling with plants and fish?

mearatiara

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
So I've been doing tons of research about cycling with fish and plants vs none. What do you recommend? I have a 60 gallon hex aquarium that is 31" x 24". I actually used to have freshwater fish, and they all died. Now I know it's probably because I didn't cycle my water.... Up until now I thought I could only keep Betta's alive lol.

DeniseMichele

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Well, I am pretty new to this myself. I have kept small tanks in the past, but I didn't really have a clue about proper cycling. As far as fish-in or no fish, you will likely get a 75/25 split with most people telling you to do a fishless cycle. That being said, if you are interested in doing a fish-in cycle, I would recommend doing some reading on Tetra SafeStart. Either way, I recommend plants as (from what I know) they help with cycling.

mearatiara

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Well, I am pretty new to this myself. I have kept small tanks in the past, but I didn't really have a clue about proper cycling. As far as fish-in or no fish, you will likely get a 75/25 split with most people telling you to do a fishless cycle. That being said, if you are interested in doing a fish-in cycle, I would recommend doing some reading on Tetra SafeStart. Either way, I recommend plants as (from what I know) they help with cycling.
I keep reading on here to use Tetra SafeStart and a conditioner... I thought they were the same thing? And I've read keeping plants and fish is best too. I'm more than likely going to do that!

MightyCucumber

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
If you use natural plants, the process will be much easier and faster - while plants break down nitrites (not so sure about the amonia...) they also always have some decaying parts, which in turn will become amonia sources for the good bacteria in the filter instead of usual fish waste, thus accelerating the cycle (or in the very least keep it going).

On another note, those bacteria not only grow on the filter but also on every surface of the tank in a thin layer, be it driftwood, rocks, plants, etc...

I'm doing a fish-in cycle now with 3 SAEs because I had no other choice (and they were already well established), and so far things are going great with just 1 week and a half into the cycle - mind however that I didn't change any decor in the tank, I merely gave it and the substrate a good, thorough cleanup and then filled with new water again and the old plants/driftwood/rocks.

This is just my (short) experience so far, others may have other opinion.

Last edited:

Dom90

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I prefer Seachem Stability because I can't go two weeks without water changes during cycling and you won't get the wacky readings. What I'm saying is, if something were to go wrong, you can do a water change while using Stability. Let me know if that didn't make sense.

mearatiara

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I prefer Seachem Stability because I can't go two weeks without water changes during cycling and you won't get the wacky readings. What I'm saying is, if something were to go wrong, you can do a water change while using Stability. Let me know if that didn't make sense.
That's actually what I have! Thanks for the info, I had no idea you can do a water change with it.

If you use natural plants, the process will be much easier and faster - while plants break down nitrites (not so sure about the amonia...) they also always have some decaying parts, which in turn will become amonia sources for the good bacteria in the filter instead of usual fish waste, thus accelerating the cycle (or in the very least keep it going).

On another note, those bacteria not only grow on the filter but also on every surface of the tank in a thin layer, be it driftwood, rocks, plants, etc...

I'm doing a fish-in cycle now with 3 SAEs because I had no other choice (and they were already well established), and so far things are going great with just 1 week and a half into the cycle - mind however that I didn't change any decor in the tank, I merely gave it and the substrate a good, thorough cleanup and then filled with new water again and the old plants/driftwood/rocks.

This is just my (short) experience so far, others may have other opinion.
Sorry, but what are SAE's? Lol

Last edited by a moderator:

DeniseMichele

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I keep reading on here to use Tetra SafeStart and a conditioner... I thought they were the same thing? And I've read keeping plants and fish is best too. I'm more than likely going to do that!
Tetra SafeStart is "bottle bacteria" to jumpstart your cycling and allows you to add fish right away. In fact, you are supposed to add fish no more than two hours after adding SafeStart. Here's a thread with more about that: The bacteria consume ammonia, making your tank fish-safe. Lots of people have had luck with it. The conditioner (Prime, Amquel+, Tetra AquaSafe, etc) remove chlorine, chloramines (sp), and many of them also bind or break down ammonia so that its safe for fish. However, for that reason, you have to wait 24+ hours after using one of those products before you can use the Tetra SafeStart.

mearatiara

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Tetra SafeStart is "bottle bacteria" to jumpstart your cycling and allows you to add fish right away. In fact, you are supposed to add fish no more than two hours after adding SafeStart. Here's a thread with more about that: The bacteria consume ammonia, making your tank fish-safe. Lots of people have had luck with it. The conditioner (Prime, Amquel+, Tetra AquaSafe, etc) remove chlorine, chloramines (sp), and many of them also bind or break down ammonia so that its safe for fish. However, for that reason, you have to wait 24+ hours after using one of those products before you can use the Tetra SafeStart.
Thank you so much! That helps me a lot!

DrSahl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I used the tetra Bactozym to start my tank last time and it worked wonders, I added fish after 2 days and it was perfect no problems at all. I had a link once that showed all these products and what they do. The thing is not all of them do all you need, I know the Bactozym and Tetra Safe Start both does all the things you need.

If you have a planted aqurium some plants also helps with the cycle.

- Myriophyllum mattogrossense - Ceratopteris thalictroides all help with taking out some of the harmful stuff and might also help you avoid algae.

I've never done fishless cycles etc and I never tried anything other than the bactozym and some friends tried Tetra Safe Start, so I can't say anything about the others.

mearatiara

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'm pretty sure OP said in another post they already got Stability though, but could be wrong.
Yes, I did! I haven't received it yet from amazon so had no idea you have to wait 24 hours before adding fish.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom