Cycling with plants and fish?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle' started by mearatiara, Jul 28, 2015.

1. mearatiara

mearatiara Valued Member Member

So I've been doing tons of research about cycling with fish and plants vs none. What do you recommend? I have a 60 gallon hex aquarium that is 31" x 24". I actually used to have freshwater fish, and they all died. Now I know it's probably because I didn't cycle my water.... :( Up until now I thought I could only keep Betta's alive lol.

2. D

DeniseMichele Valued Member Member

Well, I am pretty new to this myself. I have kept small tanks in the past, but I didn't really have a clue about proper cycling. As far as fish-in or no fish, you will likely get a 75/25 split with most people telling you to do a fishless cycle. That being said, if you are interested in doing a fish-in cycle, I would recommend doing some reading on Tetra SafeStart. Either way, I recommend plants as (from what I know) they help with cycling.

3. OP
    OP
    mearatiara

I keep reading on here to use Tetra SafeStart and a conditioner... I thought they were the same thing? And I've read keeping plants and fish is best too. I'm more than likely going to do that!

4. MightyCucumber

MightyCucumber Valued Member Member

If you use natural plants, the process will be much easier and faster - while plants break down nitrites (not so sure about the amonia...) they also always have some decaying parts, which in turn will become amonia sources for the good bacteria in the filter instead of usual fish waste, thus accelerating the cycle (or in the very least keep it going).

On another note, those bacteria not only grow on the filter but also on every surface of the tank in a thin layer, be it driftwood, rocks, plants, etc...

I'm doing a fish-in cycle now with 3 SAEs because I had no other choice (and they were already well established), and so far things are going great with just 1 week and a half into the cycle - mind however that I didn't change any decor in the tank, I merely gave it and the substrate a good, thorough cleanup and then filled with new water again and the old plants/driftwood/rocks.

This is just my (short) experience so far, others may have other opinion. ;)

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
  5. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

I prefer Seachem Stability because I can't go two weeks without water changes during cycling and you won't get the wacky readings. What I'm saying is, if something were to go wrong, you can do a water change while using Stability. Let me know if that didn't make sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

6. OP
    OP
    mearatiara

That's actually what I have! Thanks for the info, I had no idea you can do a water change with it.

Sorry, but what are SAE's? Lol

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2015
  7. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

Siamese Algae Eaters

8. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

SAE's are Siamese algae eaters

9. OP
    OP
    mearatiara

Thanks guys! lol

10. Dom90

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438096501.407536.jpg
    These

11. D

DeniseMichele Valued Member Member

Tetra SafeStart is "bottle bacteria" to jumpstart your cycling and allows you to add fish right away. In fact, you are supposed to add fish no more than two hours after adding SafeStart. Here's a thread with more about that: The bacteria consume ammonia, making your tank fish-safe. Lots of people have had luck with it. The conditioner (Prime, Amquel+, Tetra AquaSafe, etc) remove chlorine, chloramines (sp), and many of them also bind or break down ammonia so that its safe for fish. However, for that reason, you have to wait 24+ hours after using one of those products before you can use the Tetra SafeStart.

12. OP
    OP
    mearatiara

Thank you so much! That helps me a lot! :)

13. Dom90

I'm pretty sure OP said in another post they already got Stability though, but could be wrong.

14. DrSahl

DrSahl Valued Member Member

I used the tetra Bactozym to start my tank last time and it worked wonders, I added fish after 2 days and it was perfect no problems at all. I had a link once that showed all these products and what they do. The thing is not all of them do all you need, I know the Bactozym and Tetra Safe Start both does all the things you need.

If you have a planted aqurium some plants also helps with the cycle.

-   -   all help with taking out some of the harmful stuff and might also help you avoid algae.

I've never done fishless cycles etc and I never tried anything other than the bactozym and some friends tried Tetra Safe Start, so I can't say anything about the others.

15. OP
    OP
    mearatiara

Yes, I did! I haven't received it yet from amazon so had no idea you have to wait 24 hours before adding fish. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice