Cycling With Neon Tetras?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by XenoMarc, Apr 8, 2017.

1. XenoMarc

XenoMarc Valued Member Member

Hello.
    I've just been to the fish store to buy the sand, rocks etc. but the fish store guy said to do a cycle with fish. The guys there are nice and I asked them if there was anyway to do a fishless cycle but he said it needs a fish to cycle and produce waste/ammonia (which I thought was wrong, but didn't say anything and now I'm disappointed).
    So my parents ended up buying 9 neon tetras since they were the cheapest but I'm worried they'll die since they are not beginner fish and not hardy. Can I please have some tips and advice to keep them alive during the start of a cycle because I don't want any of them to die.
    Thank you.

2. Al913

Al913 Fishlore VIP Member

3. malowmar

malowmar Valued Member Member

Fishless is possible if you have a source of ammonia (like fish food, but pure ammonia would be best).

You have to do constant water changes to prevent your tetras from getting sick or dying. Keeping track of water parameters is key so you always make sure the water isn't too unbearably toxic for your fish. Each water change should be like at least 50%, several times a week.

To speed up bacteria growth, you should probably get bacteria in a bottle like Dr. Tim's One and Only Nitrifying Bacteria.

9 neon tetras is a lot for fish in cycling... is there anyway you can get it down to max. 3?

Edit: if you see your ammonia levels go above 0.25 ppm when cycling, do a water change.

4. OP
    OP
    XenoMarc

240 litres (I'm not sure in gallons) and I don't think I added anything to the water but de-chlorinator and something to digest the ammonia and nitrites. I don't have a liquid test kit and the fish store just said to bring a sample of water to them and they'll test it.

5. Al913

Depends on the size tank :), however 3 is too little :) plus with schooling fish you want to have at least 6, by having a proper school this helps them get through the cycle.

6. OP
    OP
    XenoMarc

I don't have a liquid test kit. Apart from buying it, what do I do?

7. malowmar

:0 That makes sense with a 240 L tank. For some reason I assumed it was small lol.

You should get the API Freshwater Master Test Kit.

Honestly, it is the best way to keep track of ammonia/nitrites/nitrates. Not using it would be risky.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2017
  8. Al913

So its a 63 gallon tank

Definitely get a BB supplement since this is what you need to digest the ammonia and it is the permanent solution! You most likely added a nutrifier

Definitely get a liquid test kit

9. OP
    OP
    XenoMarc

Thanks for the help guys. I don't want any fish to die. I'll try convince my parents to get a liquid test kit as soon as possible.

10. malowmar

Good luck!

11. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_b Fishlore VIP Member

A water test kit is a necessity in fish keeping. You can not properly do a fisheless cycle without one (PLEASE do a fishes cycle it will only take a couple of weeks or less. I do it in 7 days) You also need to monitor a new tank closely and without a water test kit you can not. Also, test strips are worse than useless. Because of their inaccuracy they are dangerous to your fish. At the least get the API master kit. There are better ways but they cost much more.

12. Al913

Yeah, the first month is when you will use most of your test kit! Some people and its recommended takes a test every day for the first 2 weeks to make sure there parameters are stable before adding fish! Also having a test kit allows you to quickly diagnose your tank! If you had a problem along the road and you come on this forum, were gonna ask you your water parameters and most likely you might not be able to go to the fish store to get it right away, especially sometimes it can be a life and death situation

13. OP
    OP
    XenoMarc

Hey guys. I'm kinda in a pickle here and quite anxious. I haven't put the neon tetras in the tank yet cuz the heater is taking time and the the water is still too cold for them (even too cold for me) but I'm worried that they'll die due to starvation or high conc. of ammonia. What should I do:
    Put them in the cold water fish tank?
    Or
    Leave them in the bag overnight ?

14. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Is the bag the same temperature as the tank?
    How warm is the tank?

15. OP
    OP
    XenoMarc

I am not sure as I don't have a thermometer but I'm pretty sure the tank water is no where near the bag water. The tank water is extremely cold and even makes me feel uncomfortable when putting my arm in it. Only the surface is warm, but the rest hasn't changed a bit since the Juwel heater is so slow.

16. BottomDweller

Yeah I hav the same problem with my juwel heater. Neon tetras prefer cooler water to what some people think. Around 70f is good for them. I really recommend getting a thermometer.

17. OP
    OP
    XenoMarc

Thanks, do you think it'll be okay to leave them in the bag overnight?

18. BottomDweller

No i would not keep them in the bag overnight. If you don't think the temperature will adjust fast enough then I would slowly add tank water to the bag until they are the same temperature.

19. OP
    OP
    XenoMarc

But I'm worried cuz most of the tank water is nearly ice cold.

20. BottomDweller

Could you do a water change and replace some of the water with warm water from the tap? Also I would turn the heater on to it's highest setting so it warms up faster.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice