Cycling with HiFin White Tetra's

1. dahly Member Member

I am eight days into cycling my 29 gallon tank with three HiFin White Tetra's, which I've grown quite fond of watching.  I can't wait, but will, for my tank to cycle so that I can add more fish.  I plan to add three HiFin Black Tetra's, which will presumably school with the three I have.  I will add Panda Cory's next, then Cardinal tetra's and Blue tetra's over time.  There were some red/marbled Angel's that were recommended too; albeit pricey, that again, over time I'd like to add too.  It's been over many since I last had any fish.  Actually, they were my older brothers that I'd take care of, when he was out.  I am really excited about getting into this hobby!  Any comments or suggestions are appreciated.

2. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Are you testing your water? If so What is your ammonia,nitrite, and nitrate? When they are at 0 this is how you know your cycle is over. If you have live plants your nitrates can be 2oppm. I like your combination of fish. The neons and pandas are a little more sensitive than the others so I would leave them to last. Make sure the neons are a good size because the angels will eat them if they will fit in the angels mouths. I have 2 kinds of neons and angels together and they look really good, but I added the neons first and bought grown ones, then added the angels. Since you've had some experience with fish you know to take your time. just my thoughts :D And by the way welcome!!!!!!
    Carol

3. dahly Member Member

"Aquarium Adventures" is nearby and I have my water tested there. I am through the ammonia stage and started phase two yesterday. The fish aren’t currently stressed. There was some ich, but I raised the tank temp and it has cleared; back to 78 degrees now. I will go slow and take into consideration your experienced recommendations. Thanks for your insight.

4. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome