Cycling With Fish

1. FishyBeginner Initiate Member

So of imgonna cycle with a fish do I let himthere for a couple weeks? I want to keep guppies but can a goldfish do the cycling?

2. arvind2205 Member Member

What is your tank size? Are you using a product like prime to dechlorinate and have handy in case of ammonia spike? Also are you kickstarting the cycle with bottled bacteria of some sort? Also I would recommend test strips or API master kit to monitor levels as your cycle comes along.

3. vin Well Known Member Member

What kind of fish to you intend to keep? If you're intend on keeping tropical then you want to use something hearty like Zebra Danios. If you're keeping goldfish then use goldfish.

What size tank are you going to have and have you read about the nitrogen cycle?

4. vin Well Known Member Member

@FishyBeginner - not sure what's funny. Just giving you the info you asked for. It really does depend upon the fish you're going to keep. Since you said guppies (which are live bearing fish and makes lots of babies quite easily and often so keep that in mind) you don't want to use goldfish to cycle with.

It also helps us to know what size tank you're using and if you're familiar with the nitrogen cycle, what it is and how it works.

5. JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

if your intending to keep guppies why would you cycle with a golfish? then what are you going to do with the goldfish once the cycle is completely?

Why not just do a fish less cycle , get some bottled bacteria such as seachem stability and pure ammonia and be patient and then once it's cycled you get your guppies and no fish has to go through a miserable time.

6. FishyBeginner Initiate Member

Guys im going to buy Dr Tims One and only so i think that will do it