Cycling With Fish

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by seno aji, Apr 17, 2017.

1. s

seno aji New Member Member

Please help me
    my name is Seno from Indonesia.I've a new tank and it fills 8 goldfish. my tank is about 60 L and I used canister filter. I don't doing a cycle and the ammonia is too high..every two days I change my water and put Seachem Prime and the ammonia still high..what should I do?

2. scarface

scarface Fishlore VIP Member

60l approx. 16 gallons? If so, it's too small for a single goldfish (fancy or not) let alone 8. You are having ammonia issues, because you're extremely overstocked. Goldfish also produce a lot of waste. Because of that, this is not a battle you can win, unfortunately. I would rehome them to a larger tank, if possible. What kind are they?

3. OP
    OP
    s

4 oranda, 2 lion head, 1 blackmoor, 1 pearl scale..
    So how much big tank that i need for all of my fish?
    When i'm cycling should i use my active carbon?
    Thx mister scarface

4. MikeRad89

MikeRad89 Well Known Member Member

You'd need about 90 gallons (340l) to house that many fish. Honestly you won't even be able to cycle your tank currently. You've got way too much ammonia being produced.

5. scarface

scarface Fishlore VIP Member

You're welcome :)

I wouldn't use active carbon to cycle as you would have to replace it every month and you would then lose a lot of your beneficial bacteria. Replace it with ceramic or something equivalent that will last. That and the 90g must sound like quite an upgrade. I hope things work out.

6. EliteJY995

EliteJY995 Valued Member Member

Unfortunately I live in southeast Asia like you (Singapore) where the majority of our fishtanks are unfiltered bare bottomed overstocked glass boxes. I understand that Indonesia may or may not have the aquarium supplies that other countries may have but I do know that large fish ponds are fairly common in Indonesia. I would consider getting one of those.

7. OP
    OP
    s

Thx mister scarface and EliteJY995 for the advice..
    So I need to change the active carbon to the ceramic..so the filter in my canister from the top: white sponge, ceramic, and ceramic..is it right?
    Thx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice