Cycling With Fish Food. Please Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by ChuthuluFish, Apr 23, 2017.

1. ChuthuluFish

ChuthuluFishWell Known MemberMember

I asked early about cycling with ammonia. Couldn't find pure ammonia so I'm settling for fish food. Also I don't have a test kit. Watmart didn't have any. So the question is,is it possible to do a fishless cycle using food without a test kit? If so how can i do it . And if so how much food a day and how long it will take.I have a 5g and was wondering , once it's cycled if I could add sparkling gouramis and maby cherry shrimp.

All comments and help welcome. 4f11efce91af3a5a6ef52ca6a0cb5896.jpg

2. BottomDweller

BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

I cycled my tank with fish food. You add food daily to get ammonia to about 2ppm.
    You need a test kit to find out if your tank is cycled and if the water is safe for fish. Can you order one online?

3. Prism

PrismWell Known MemberMember

Cycle the tank within 7 days minimum, make sure to keep the filter running, and keep the temperature at a acceptable place, You do not cycle with fish, or food. Just keep the tank running just like you would have a fish in it, but I have NO experience with those fish, I would do about 3, and maybe 2 shrimp?

4. BottomDweller

You can't cycle a tank without a source of ammonia.

5. APierce

APierceWell Known MemberMember

This is a 5 gal tank, I'm not sure that sparkling gourami's are good for a tank that small. Cherry shrimp would be fine though :) You can order testing kits on Amazon.

Fish food is fine to use as an ammonia source, I'd add a small pinch every other day until you get your testing supplies.

6. Prism

Pierce, there smaller than female betta's.

7. APierce

Ahh ok :)

8. Prism

9. BottomDweller

10. Prism

Click that, and it will go to a forum on fish lore.

11. OP
    OP
    ChuthuluFish

My mom said I can get the ap master test kit it'll take a while to save up but how long can with out on . I know I need on but it's going to take around 3 weeks to save and get from amazon 5 at most . Is that to long? I know I need one though

12. APierce

Ask if you can do extra chores/work in order to get it a little sooner?

13. BottomDweller

It helps to have one while cycling so you know how much ammonia you are dosing and if you ammonia or nitrite levels are too high. You could start cycling without a test kit but I wouldn't recommend adding fish until you have a test kit.

14. OP
    OP
    ChuthuluFish

Ok I will die my best . I might be able to get in 3 If I do lots of work. Plus I heard sparkling Guaramis are a Territorial ? It's just I love the way they look.

Three weeks I mean

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2017
  15. BottomDweller

They're pretty peaceful but they would need a bigger tank

16. APierce

If you have to wait 3 weeks, I'd add a small pinch every third day of the fish food. That should get some bacteria going and some ammonia and nitrite by the 3 week mark, and hopefully not spike you up too high when you don't have the testing supplies.

17. OP
    OP
    ChuthuluFish

Also do you know if I have enough hiding spots I really want to plan ahead ed5fdd4725634410829d5517d29991da.jpg

18. BottomDweller

19. OP
    OP
    ChuthuluFish

What about java moss to help cycle I've heard plant mater helps

20. BottomDweller

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice