Cycling With Fish Food. Please Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by ChuthuluFish, Apr 23, 2017.

1. ChuthuluFishWell Known MemberMember

I asked early about cycling with ammonia. Couldn't find pure ammonia so I'm settling for fish food. Also I don't have a test kit. Watmart didn't have any. So the question is,is it possible to do a fishless cycle using food without a test kit? If so how can i do it . And if so how much food a day and how long it will take.I have a 5g and was wondering , once it's cycled if I could add sparkling gouramis and maby cherry shrimp.

All comments and help welcome. 4f11efce91af3a5a6ef52ca6a0cb5896.jpg

2. betta12New MemberMember

For sure on the Cherry Shrimp. Not sure about gourami tho because I don't know anything about them at all. At Ace hardware they have pure ammonia that works great for cycling if you happen to have one near you. I would consult someone else on the fish food cycle as I am not too experienced! Good Luck with your Tank!

3. pgw2000New MemberMember

If you just use food, it will just take a bit longer to cycle. You can add few cheap, hardy fish (such as white skirt tetras) about 7-10 after setting up your tank and putting food in it. They should stay alive if you do regular water changes to keep your ammonia levels down.

4. NanologistWell Known MemberMember

It's going to be next to impossible to know when or if your tank is cycling without testing the water. With that said, you can always take a water sample to a LFS or big-box store like Petco and they generally test your water for free. Just make sure you get the exact measurements from them and not just a generic answer like "your water is good". You will need the specific levels of ammonia, nitrite and eventually nitrate.

I would not recommend a fish-in cycle unless you get some Seachem Prime to bind the ammonia or you will risk harming or killing the fish and even then it's still a risk, especially if the ammonia produced surpasses the dose of Prime. The standard dose on the instructions for your size tank treats up to 1ppm of ammonia. You can safely dose up to 5x the normal amount of Prime in an emergency if ammonia goes above 1ppm.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice