Cycling with Bio-Spira (troubles)

Nybbles

Reaction score
Ok, so I'm still a noob to this... got my first tank a couple/few weeks ago and recently started to cycle it.  At first, I started to cycle with fish, then found this place and all the mentions of Bio-Spira.  Last saturday, I added the Bio-Spira and the rest of the fish.

By Tuesday and Wednesday, I'd lost a fish and another wasnt looking so good.  So far, I've lost 4 guppies.  The odd thing is that the only ones I've lost were the new ones I added on Sat.  All of the ones that were in there previously are acting as normal and playful as ever.  Also, none of the Neon Tetra's have been acting abnormally either.

I'd been monitoring the water each day.. sometimes testing it twice a day.  Everything I've read says not to change the water when cycling with Bio-Spira, but when I started losing fish, I freaked out and did a couple changes.  Now, I know these changes may slow down the cycling process, but that's worth it to not lose any more fish.

I guess my question is now, when is it absolutely necessary to do a water change?  Since the tank is cycling, even with Bio-Spira, I know there will be some ammonia's and some nitrites until the bacteria establishes itself.  At what point should I change the water?  The ammonia and nitrite levels have never passed .5, which, while not good, does not seem like it would have such a devistating affect on the fish.  Add to the fact that it only affected the new fish, do you think I might have just got some sick fish?

Now that I'm done rambling, any thoughts?

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Did you acclimate the new fish? there may have been too much difference between your tank going through the cycling process and the tank they came from. sorry about your fish, don't get discouraged.
While bioSpira may help some it is really designed to go in before you have fish then add the fish and the beneficial bacteria in BioSpira can grow as the fish furnish the ammonia for food. Kepp us posted we will help all we can.
Carol

Nybbles

Reaction score
Yeah, I did acclimate the fish for quite a while.  Not only did I float the bag but I slowly added a little tank water to the bag regularly over a period of over an hour.

Re: the Bio-Spira,... had I known about it at the beginning, I would have done some things different (as I'm sure many of us would).  Now I guess the biggest question I have is how much nitrite is "too much".  Since the tank is cycling, having some nitrite is inevitable and even required for the process to complete.

I'm just hoping for some guidance on when a water change is absolutely necessary.... when nitrite is at .5?  1.0?  Other?

P.S. The worst part about it is that we had the coolest guppie.  He had a large, delta-shaped tail.  It was Orange and Black and looked exactly like a monarch butterfly.  Due to his coloring, we called him Tigger (like from Whinnie the Pooh).  My wife and I are extremely sad about this; he will be missed.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Loosing fish is never easy I would do a water change if your ammonia or Nitrite gets over .25 . This will slow your cycle down but maybe you won't loose any more fish.
We have several diffrent strains of guppies that are breeding well for us and one of them is 1/2 black pastels. Mostly they have shades of blue in their tails but one male fry develped the most beautiful blue, red and black tail so I understand how you can get attached to them. Yell if we can help or you have any questions
Carol

Nybbles

Reaction score
Butterfly,

Just wanted to say thanks for the advice.  I've been doing as you suggested and the remaining fish are doing ok.

Also, it seems I'm through the worst of it.... the nitrites have leveled off and are not increasing.  I'm still keeping an eye on them so hopfeully soon they will decrease.

Thanks for the help!

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome! Anytime we can help just let us know
Carol

jayfl234

Valued Member
Reaction score
I used bio-spira as well and i had had two black mollies in tank for a couple of weeks and then i added bio-spira and i did not do a water change for about 7 days after i put in the bacteria. They say that it is suppose to bring your ammonia and nitrite to zero over night and that is not the case for me.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
jayfl234 anytime a product is not used per instructions on the package mixed results can result. as stated above : While bioSpira may help some it is really designed to go in before you have fish then add the fish and the beneficial bacteria in BioSpira can grow as the fish furnish the ammonia for food.
It was not designed to go in after fish have been in the tank a bit, but sometimes it does. Sorry it didn't work as you expected.
Carol

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom