Cycling With Betta

Discussion in 'Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle' started by Racing1113, Aug 5, 2017.

1. R

Racing1113 Well Known Member Member

I have my betta by himself in a 10 gallon tank. He's been in there for a few weeks now. I'm using Prime and Stability since I'm too nervous to use TSS+ lol. Every time I test (which is frequently) it's always 0 across the board. I've been doing water changes once a week since I felt weird not doing any changes. Is the bioload just too small for the tank? How will I ever get this cycled? Should I not change his water until I see som ammonia?

2. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Did you ever see ammonia or nitrite? You could possibly be cycled already if it's been a few weeks and you aren't seeing any ammonia or nitrite. I would still change the water at least weekly.

3. OP
    OP
    R

Nope, never saw anything for ammonia, nitrite, or nitrate. I mean it's great that there's no ammonia or nitrite obviously lol and he seems to be happy, but wouldn't I see nitrates if I was cycled? I'm planning to change the substrate to sand and get shrimp and a snail in a few weeks - would that increase in bioload help or is that bioload still pretty small? I was expecting to see the ammonia spike in the first week or so and expecting to have to do frequent water changes so I'm super confused.

4. el337

Are you making sure to bang nitrate bottle #2 really hard and shaking it really well before adding to the tube? Sometimes not shaking it well enough can cause false readings.

Shrimp/snail bioload is really not very high so I doubt you'd see a significant increase in nitrates. Is your tank heavily planted? Could be why you don't see nitrates also.

5. OP
    OP
    R

Yep, I bang it on my hand and the counter. Shake it longer than it says in the instructions too. I show nitrates when I test my fish tank. No plants in the tank, all fake decor right now, substrate is glass marbles for now. It's the weirdest thing that everything is always 0 lol.

6. el337

Ok lol I wouldn't stress over it. As long as you don't see ammonia or nitrite, it's fine. One betta in a 10g may not produce detectable nitrates.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice