Cycling With A Cycled Tank?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle' started by Goldfishfreak, Jun 19, 2018.

1. Goldfishfreak

Goldfishfreak Valued Member Member

Ok I have had an epiphany!!

I am going to be setting up a new 20g and I was wondering how to speed up the cycle because I want to move my loaches into it as soon as possible.

I was originally going to use vacuumed water from my 30g tank and just dump it in. But now Im thinking what if I put in the bio scrubby thing (I have a tetra whisper ex 30 filter and they come with a blue and white thing for the good bacteria) in the 30g and wait for it to grow on there. Or could I run them side by side?

Which option would be better or should I do something else?

2. endlercollector

endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

What kind of fish will you have in the new tank? There's no need to use vacuumed water from the 30g. The well-aged material from the other filter stuffed into the new filter will suffice, especially if you do not overcrowd the 2nd tank. Since goldfish are in your name, I just want to make sure that you don't overload it too quickly with fish that produce a lot of waste.

3. OP
    OP
    Goldfishfreak

Oh no lol its going to be a kuhli loach and snail tank. Thanks for caring though. Goldfish is in my name because I had a goldfish in my 30g before he died and I LOVED him and i still love goldfish. I plan on getting a 75g with goldfish in it at some point.

4. endlercollector

endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

I just think goldfish are so beautiful, but I've never tried keeping them (since my grandmother tried and failed in a 1-gallon globe "tank"!) because I just can't handle a tank that large ;) Someday, I'd like to live in a place where I can have a pond...

5. mattgirl

mattgirl Fishlore VIP Member

The beauty of having an already cycled tank is you never have to go through the long drawn out cycling process again as long as you have enough media to be able to remove some and still have enough left not to crash the cycle in the original tank.

Very little if any bacteria lives in the water so moving it won't do anything to cycle a tank but if you can move some of the filter media over to the new tank you can almost instantly cycle another tank. Just be sure to have an ammonia source to feed the seeded material. Either pure bottled ammonia or the fish you plan on having in the tank will be good enough.

I keep extra sponge filters running in my tank for just such a case as this. With them I can instantly cycle another tank.

6. OP
    OP
    Goldfishfreak

Alright thanks! I'll just move some stuff into the tank and I plan on putting 5 kuhlis in it right away so I should be good

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice