Cycling/water Change Question Help 

FloydtheBetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
HI everyone.

I recently switched my betta over to a 6.8 gallon and used the media from my old tank. I also added 3 nerite snails and some blue shrimp. It had a nitrite spike at first but I added safe start and now the levels are staying at: ammonia 0, nitrite 0, and nitrate 10-20 (seriously can’t tell the difference).

My question is I’ve noticed the nitrates staying at 10-20 consistently. When should I do water changes?

I have TONS of plants so maybe that’s why the nitrate isn’t building up?

Attachments

Kiks

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If your plants are thriving and growing it's safe to assume they're consuming a part of the nitrates. Even though your nitrates stay at 10 - 20 ppm which is good, I'd still do a water change every week. There are other minerals in the water that you're not testing for that can get depleted.

TamiR

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
How is your betta doing with the shrimp? I was considering doing some shrimp in my betta tank but was unsure how it would work out. Of course, I may never get the betta or the shrimp if this cycle doesn't ever finish! (Sorry, venting my 31 days of frustration lol).

FloydtheBetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
TamiR said:
How is your betta doing with the shrimp? I was considering doing some shrimp in my betta tank but was unsure how it would work out. Of course, I may never get the betta or the shrimp if this cycle doesn't ever finish! (Sorry, venting my 31 days of frustration lol).
Oh no I’m sorry about the cycle frustration. I am the worlds most impatient person so I can’t imagine!

He is doing great with them! I’ve been watching like a hawk and he hasn’t gone after them once. They are super good little hiders so with a lot of plants I think even if he wanted to eat them he couldn’t get to most of them.

I tried a couple of ghost shrimp with him first though. He didn’t mind them at all— even saw one take a ride on his head once and he just seemed mildly annoyed. Haha

I think it comes down to the fishes personality so just try a cheaper shrimp first and see how they react!

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads