Cycling/water Change Question Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by FloydtheBetta, May 11, 2019.

1. FloydtheBetta

FloydtheBettaValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +92
    Experience:
    Just started
    Hi everyone.

I recently switched my betta over to a 6.8 gallon and used the media from my old tank. I also added 3 nerite snails and some blue shrimp. It had a nitrite spike at first but I added safe start and now the levels are staying at: ammonia 0, nitrite 0, and nitrate 10-20 (seriously can’t tell the difference).

My question is I’ve noticed the nitrates staying at 10-20 consistently. When should I do water changes?

I have TONS of plants so maybe that’s why the nitrate isn’t building up?

Attached Files:

2. Kiks

KiksWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +478
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    If your plants are thriving and growing it's safe to assume they're consuming a part of the nitrates. Even though your nitrates stay at 10 - 20 ppm which is good, I'd still do a water change every week. There are other minerals in the water that you're not testing for that can get depleted.

3. TamiR

TamiRValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +69
    Experience:
    Just started
    How is your betta doing with the shrimp? I was considering doing some shrimp in my betta tank but was unsure how it would work out. Of course, I may never get the betta or the shrimp if this cycle doesnt ever finish! (Sorry, venting my 31 days of frustration lol).

4. OP
    OP
    FloydtheBetta

FloydtheBettaValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +92
    Experience:
    Just started
    Oh no I’m sorry about the cycle frustration. I am the worlds most impatient person so I can’t imagine!

He is doing great with them! I’ve been watching like a hawk and he hasn’t gone after them once. They are super good little hiders so with a lot of plants I think even if he wanted to eat them he couldn’t get to most of them.

I tried a couple of ghost shrimp with him first though. He didn’t mind them at all— even saw one take a ride on his head once and he just seemed mildly annoyed. Haha

I think it comes down to the fishes personality so just try a cheaper shrimp first and see how they react!