Cycling using an established tank

nomad6907

Reaction score
I recently picked up a 75 gallon from Craigslist. It has been running for a week with a new Marineland Emperor 400 Bio Wheel filter. I have been adding a mix of artificial and natural plants and decorating here and there. The heater that came with the tank needed to be replaced and that will be arriving mid to end of this week. Once I get the temp regulated I want to start the cycling process.

My established tank is a 10 gallon also running a Marineland Bio Wheel filter rated up to 30 gallons. It has been fully cycled now for a couple of months. It was a real struggle to get this tank up and going. It wasn't until I got the bio wheel and a bag of filter media that I was really able to regulate things in that tank.

The tank is stocked like this :

4 neons
4 Ember tetras
1 honey dwarf
2 mystery snails
1 nerite snail
2 ghost shrimp

I am a little apprehensive using too much from my 10 gallon for the 75 because it is my daughters tank and I don't want to risk a recycle. I would love to just take the bag of media and put it in my new filter, but I have also heard that old filter cartridges can be used. I usually change those once a month, and it is getting to the time where I will be doing that. Would there be enough bacteria on the filter cartridge to get a cycle going with say maybe 6 or 7 platys and a gouramI and regular treatments with seachems stability? Would that amount of fish offer a suitable amount of bio load for that volume of water?

Sprinkle

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
The BB will hold on to the cycled filter media as long as the filter media is wet or damp. It is a great idea to use the cycled media into a new tank as you won't need to cycle it all.

mattgirl
DoubleDutch - y'all please come to the rescue please ;)
coralbandit
Crispii

Jake8995

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
When you replace the cartridge in the 10 cut out a piece of the floss part and put in the other filter. The boost will help. Beneficial bacteria colonies double in size every 15 hours.

Sprinkle

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Jake8995 said:
When you replace the cartridge in the 10 cut out a piece of the floss part and put in the other filter. The boost will help. Beneficial bacteria colonies double in size every 15 hours.
I have cycled media for few months now. So, I have billions and billions of BB now? ;)

JimC22

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The 75 I would recommend doing a fishless water cycle. It's always better to do this and confirm you have a completed cycle before adding fish. Too many things can go wrong and harm fish if using them to cycle.

Fishless - you can get your ammonia levels elevated (3 or 4 ppm) and by adding bio media from your other tank (old cartridge) you could see you cycle go quicker than as a fish in cycle. Even using an old cartridge and hope for a no-cycle scenario, chance are you will see a mini-cycle.

Without fish you don't have to worry about constant water changes to keep water parameters safe for fish.

Jake8995

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Sprinkle said:
I have cycled media for few months now. So, I have billions and billions of BB now? ;)
It continues to multiply until there is nothing to consume, then it plateaus.

Sprinkle

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
JimC22 said:
The 75 I would recommend doing a fishless water cycle. It's always better to do this and confirm you have a completed cycle before adding fish. Too many things can go wrong and harm fish if using them to cycle.

Fishless - you can get your ammonia levels elevated (3 or 4 ppm) and by adding bio media from your other tank (old cartridge) you could see you cycle go quicker than as a fish in cycle. Even using an old cartridge and hope for a no-cycle scenario, chance are you will see a mini-cycle.

Without fish you don't have to worry about constant water changes to keep water parameters safe for fish.
It took for me 2 weeks to cycle my tank. Could I sign up for Guiness Record book series?

Jake8995 said:
It continues to multiply until there is nothing to consume, then it plateaus.
Oh, wow :0
Plateaus = stops?

JimC22

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sprinkle said:
It took for me 2 weeks to cycle my tank. Could I sign up for Guiness Record book series?
You still cycled, it was not "instant cycle".

2 weeks is a mini-cycle. Exactly what I said above but without a timeline since every tank cycles differently.

Sprinkle

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
JimC22 said:
You still cycled, it was not "instant cycle".

2 weeks is a mini-cycle. Exactly what I said above but without a timeline since every tank cycles differently.
Yeah, I know. I know there is no such thing as "instant cycle" isn't it?

JimC22

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It's all good. Hard to get all our thoughts in here. So many variables and ways to do this.

We all are trying to give the Op different views and options.

Personally, I would not enter fish into a tank until it is known that the tank is cycled. Many times nothing happens but when it goes sideways, the fish suffer, are lost and sometimes you lose everything in the tank. Waiting a couple weeks for success is a better option.

Sprinkle

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
JimC22 said:
It's all good. Hard to get all our thoughts in here. So many variables and ways to do this.

We all are trying to give the Op different views and options.

Personally, I would not enter fish into a tank until it is known that the tank is cycled. Many times nothing happens but when it goes sideways, the fish suffer, are lost and sometimes you lose everything in the tank. Waiting a couple weeks for success is a better option.
The OP will know everything about the cycle thanks to us all here :) That's what I like about this forum. Since I am on this forum, I know lots about fish and keepin fish.

OP
N

nomad6907

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replys. I am just kinda soaking this in. So many different opinions on cycling.

JettsPapa

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
nomad6907 said:
...I have also heard that old filter cartridges can be used. I usually change those once a month, ...
Most people recommend rinsing them once a month or so, and then putting them back, and only replace them when they're falling apart. The manufacturers recommend replacing them more often because they want you to buy more. When you throw them out you lose a lot of your beneficial bacteria.

I bought a sheet of filter media and cut it to size instead of replacing the cartridge, which is cheaper, since the carbon in the cartridges usually isn't needed anyway.

New Threads