Cycling using a new filter on an old tank Question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle' started by Dean, Mar 31, 2010.

1. D

Dean Valued Member Member

I'm starting a new 55 gal tank. I am currently running the new filter for my new tank and the established filter in my current 55 gal tank to shorten the cycling time. My question is: How long should I run the new filter in my established tank to provide enough bacteria to speed up or even eliminate the cycling process in my new tank?

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
  2. bubblynutter

bubblynutter Well Known Member Member

2 weeks is ideal - the longer the better.

Also keep in mind the bio-load on your established tank to the bio-load on the new tank.
    If it is drastically less, be very careful adding fish. Do it slowly, to allow your new filter time to adapt to the increased load.

If it's pretty much the same, you can add everyone at once (after acclimating, of course!)

3. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

you put the new filter on your old tank? is that correct? (I have brunette moments allot :) ) if so, you are going to put your current tank in a mini cycle as most of your bacteria is on that filter......if anything, run BOTH filters on your established tank.....good luck!

4. Prince Powder

Prince Powder Well Known Member Member

At least two weeks. Then I would recommend stocking slowly. Your new filter will have only a portion of the bacteria colony that will come from your established tank. As with any newly cycled tank add according to the bio load (3-4 fish for most community species, a few more than that is ok for small species with low bioloads, less fir larger fish or fish with heavy bio loads). Always make sure to QT new fish so you don't wind up with something like ich which can infect your entire tank, and always make sure to wait a few weeks between additions.

You can also run the new filter for a few weeks then move it over and begin a fishless cycle on your new tank. Seeding the filter ahead of time will speed up the cycle alot and it will allow time for your bacteria colony to strengthen before adding fish.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
  5. OP
    OP
    D

Shawnie, I am running both filter on my current tank, not just the new one.
    Bubblynutter, I plan on adding fish pretty slowly. The new tank is going in my classroom and is really for next years kids since there won't really be more than a few fish in there before the school year is over. I plan on adding them slowly over the summer and next fall. So, this is just to get it started with only a few fish.

6. OP
    OP
    D

Thanks PP

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice