Cycling Turtle Tank!!!!

BettaFishKeeper4302

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hello everyone! I finally found out what i am doing with my 20 long!!! Musk turtles!!!!! I am cycling with two small bottles of tetra safestart and an old filter cartridge sitting in my 29 gal. I will be getting rosy reds for cycling. I've succesfully done this once with just one bottle of tetra safestart so two and a old filter cartridge will definitley be enough and exceed my chances for cycling this tank.

Rowan

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Why use rosy reds for cycling? Why not just use fish food or straight ammonia? Or just go ahead and get your turtles? I mean, wouldn't they be a lot hardier than any fish when it comes to water quality?

Rowan

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Since musk turtles breathe air and can completely leave the water if they choose, it seems to me that they must be less sensitive to water quality than fish. I don't have any research to back that up, but I can tell you that I kept an eastern painted turtle before I ever kept fish, definitely didn't cycle the tank in advance, and she was completely fine. Anecdotes aren't evidence, though, and I've never kept musk turtles, so you should do whatever your own research and best judgement tell you.

Rowan

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
The best thing, would be a fishless (and turtleless) cycle using ammonia (pure ammonium chloride solution---not the stuff for cleaning!). That way you can get the tank and filter fully established with no discomfort to any living creatures. If you're not willing to do that, then the second best thing (IMO) would be to skip the rosies and cycle with the turtles, because they're likely to suffer less than fish would through the cycling process.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom