Cycling the tank

nadams234

Reaction score
I am just wondering, I had a regular goldfish in my tank that lived for about 7 years. He died recently and that is when I converted to tropical, since I didn't want to mix goldfish and tropical. Having a tank running for that long with a goldfish, periodic water changes and a good rinsing after my little guy passed on, is the tank already cycled? I did let the water run with some conditioner for a couple of days before I started with the guppies. 3 of the 4 are thriving, one died. I added four more today and as far as I can see, everything seems to be doing ok. Just wondering on the cycling thing with the previous goldfish. Thanks.

Cycling, nitrates, nitrites? Never knew about these things when I was a youngster, lol.

bhcaaron

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Just answering to see how many unanswerables I can take off the list. But, did you have other living things in there? And, since it was a long time ago, how'd it go? lol

bhcaaron

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Ok... no one else is answering this question!

He brings up a good point thought. Going from freshwater to brackish to salt, can that be done without having to start over? Can salt mix be added in small portions with water changes? I would imagine that it would kill the bacteria and a new cycle would be started, is that the case?

For those of you who have switched, how have you done it?

fishbum

Valued Member
Reaction score
Test your water.Also do you think your gold fish died of old age or disease?Did the new fish die of disease?New fish from a store sometimes have disease in them,or the shock of being moved can kill them.
If you changed out all of the water after your goldish died,did you keep all your old filtration and gravel?If you changed your water,but kept the filters and gravel your tank will probally cycle again but much faster than starting with everything being brand new.But if you didn't change any water it should still be cycled,test your water to make sure.Good luck!

P.S. Sorry to hear about your fish.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom