Cycling Tanks With Ammonia

1. Victoria08

Victoria08 New Member Member

Ok so here's the deal. I have a 10 gallon aquarium that I'm using as a quarantine tank and a 55 gallon main tank.
    I read to add about 5 drops of ammonia to the tank to raise the ammonia level. This only raises it to about .25 but I read elsewear it should be about 5. Should I add more? Is it too late to do the "add and wait" method? As in adding enough to bring it up to about 5 then waiting till it goes down to zero. Also since it was a quarantine tank I didn't plan on putting substrate in it. Should I?
    There's so much conflicting information that I am just so confused.
    I haven't started cycling the 55 gallon yet as I'm waiting on my husband to complete the stand.
    Thanks for the advice.

Also... I stupidly forgot to dechlorinate the water before I put it in the aquarium. Is it ok to add it now?

2. sfsamm

sfsamm Well Known Member Member

Yes to both. You should cycle it with 1-2 ppm Ammonia and depending on the number and type of fish you plan to have at once in it, possibly higher. Some people recommend cycling as high as 3-4ppm, though I never have. I cycle to 1ppm and once it processes in 24 hours I bump it up to 2-3ppm depending on stock. Seems faster in my experience to cycle with lower Ammonia amounts and then it'll up the bb to the necessary amounts in a few days. At least that is my experience.

3. OP
    OP
    Victoria08

Victoria08 New Member Member

Ok thank you! It's hard when you're new and all the information out there is conflicting.

4. LiterallyHydro

LiterallyHydro Well Known Member Member

Definitely agree with sfsamm here.

And hang in there :) It all begins to make more sense later. Just keep in mind a lot of the information you receive anywhere, is anecdotal.

5. F

Fish-whisper Valued Member Member

Quarantine tank= bare bottom, no substrate, easy to keep tank clean. It's ok adding dechlorinator now after water was added.

Ammonia ? Starting the cycle I would never add 5 ppm, IMO that is stressing the bacteria before it takes hold. I believe in building up the cycle, adding more ammonia as the cycle progresses. I would start out at no more than 1 ppm. When you see ammonia and nitrite start reading 0-0 after 24 hrs you can add 2 ppm ammonia and repeat process. If you are going to have a large bio load you can end your cycle with a few days of 5 ppm if you want.

That's how I do it, cycle builds fast and strong for me.