Cycling tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Alcmiller, Mar 30, 2010.

1. Alcmiller

Alcmiller Valued Member Member

Hey Fishlore Gang.

I plan on starting my tank a little earlier than I expected to, I'm probably going to start the cycling process this weekend.

I was wondering, is it okay to put plants in a tank that is just beginning its cycling process? I thought I read somewhere before that they can actually help with the process and speed it up.

Thanks all.

2. midthought

midthought Well Known Member Member

I'm not too sure about speeding up the cycling, but the plants should be safe being in a cycling tank. If anything, I think plants tend to benefit from the ammonia and nitrite being produced. I'm sure someone else with more info will comment further though...

3. bubblynutter

bubblynutter Well Known Member Member

Hi Alcmiller,

I recently finished cycling two tanks, and moderately planted them about halfway through on the advice of Nutter.

I found that they did help with the cycle - it was finished (fish IN!) in two weeks. My ammonia levels were up above 8ppm, and then nitrite got up to 1ppm in both tanks. The plants love feeding off ammonia as their preferred source of food. They consume nitrites when no ammonia is available, and are content with nitrates when neither ammonia or nitrites are available.
    So that's why I think they helped me!

4. Meenu

Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Yes, go ahead and add the plant :) good luck

5. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

Good advice above. Plants are always good, no matter when you want to add them. Here's a couple of links about cycling planted tanks that you may find interesting:

6. OP
    OP
    Alcmiller

Alcmiller Valued Member Member

Hey thanks so much guys, I really appreciate all the help =)

7. s

starflite New Member Member

Hey thanks for the info, someone already asked this question for me! :D lol
    I have some java moss on the way off ebay to put in my 10g tank that just finished the ammonia phase of the nitrogen cycle.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice