Cycling tank

Alcmiller

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hey Fishlore Gang.

I plan on starting my tank a little earlier than I expected to, I'm probably going to start the cycling process this weekend.

I was wondering, is it okay to put plants in a tank that is just beginning its cycling process? I thought I read somewhere before that they can actually help with the process and speed it up.

Thanks all.

midthought

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm not too sure about speeding up the cycling, but the plants should be safe being in a cycling tank. If anything, I think plants tend to benefit from the ammonia and nitrite being produced. I'm sure someone else with more info will comment further though...

bubblynutter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hi Alcmiller,

I recently finished cycling two tanks, and moderately planted them about halfway through on the advice of Nutter.

I found that they did help with the cycle - it was finished (fish IN!) in two weeks. My ammonia levels were up above 8ppm, and then nitrite got up to 1ppm in both tanks. The plants love feeding off ammonia as their preferred source of food. They consume nitrites when no ammonia is available, and are content with nitrates when neither ammonia or nitrites are available.
So that's why I think they helped me!

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good advice above. Plants are always good, no matter when you want to add them. Here's a couple of links about cycling planted tanks that you may find interesting:

Alcmiller

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hey thanks so much guys, I really appreciate all the help =)

starflite

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hey thanks for the info, someone already asked this question for me! lol
I have some java moss on the way off ebay to put in my 10g tank that just finished the ammonia phase of the nitrogen cycle.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom