Cycling Tank

1. J

Jonny Bones New Member Member

What is the difference between tetra safe start and tetra startzyme? Could not find the answer online

2. Lollipop0912

Lollipop0912 Valued Member Member

There doesn't seem to be much of a difference. They are both cultured bacteria to aid in cycling your tank. I really don't see a difference. Welcome to the forum! If you don't mind me asking, what size tank are you starting? Do you have any stocking ideas?

3. OP
    OP
    J

I have a 10 gallon tank and have been considering either neon tetras or a few guppies, with a couple of corys

4. Lollipop0912

Lollipop0912 Valued Member Member

Awesome! In a ten gallon, I'd advise against tetras but go for 6 or so male guppies. Please don't get a mix because reproduction rates will overstock your tank in a few days. Salt and pepper cories are super cool!

5. OP
    OP
    J

Oh really? Why no on the neons? I thought they were small fish and didn't need too much room. And yes I definitely won't want the guppies mating haha. Agreed!

6. DuaneV

DuaneV Well Known Member Member

They are small, but they are super swimmers and need a lot of room. A 2o gallon long is usually recommended as minimum. Plus they do better in large schools, and you cant do that in a 10 either.

7. OP
    OP
    J

Oh okay makes sense. I'll prob just go with the guppies as I just wanted a colorful fish swimming around. Thanks for the tips much appreciated.

8. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

It seems that Startzyme is basically a combination of API's AquaSafe (a water conditioner) and API's Stresszyme. Stresszyme is not the proper bacteria for cycling a tank, it claims it is for breaking down organic sludge.

Tetra SafeStart on the other hand is for cycling your tank. It is basically a bottle of the naturally occurring bacteria that cycles your tank.

9. OP
    OP
    J

Oh okay thanks for the info. I luckily already ordered some safestart.