Cycling Tank

1. J

Jonny Bones New Member Member

2. Lollipop0912

Lollipop0912 Valued Member Member

There doesn't seem to be much of a difference. They are both cultured bacteria to aid in cycling your tank. I really don't see a difference. Welcome to the forum! If you don't mind me asking, what size tank are you starting? Do you have any stocking ideas?

3. OP
    OP
    J

I have a 10 gallon tank and have been considering either neon tetras or a few guppies, with a couple of corys

4. Lollipop0912

Lollipop0912 Valued Member Member

Awesome! In a ten gallon, I'd advise against tetras but go for 6 or so male guppies. Please don't get a mix because reproduction rates will overstock your tank in a few days. Salt and pepper cories are super cool!

5. OP
    OP
    J

Oh really? Why no on the neons? I thought they were small fish and didn't need too much room. And yes I definitely won't want the guppies mating haha. Agreed!

6. DuaneV

DuaneV Well Known Member Member

They are small, but they are super swimmers and need a lot of room. A 2o gallon long is usually recommended as minimum. Plus they do better in large schools, and you cant do that in a 10 either.

7. OP
    OP
    J

Oh okay makes sense. I'll prob just go with the guppies as I just wanted a colorful fish swimming around. Thanks for the tips much appreciated.

8. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

It seems that Startzyme is basically a combination of API's AquaSafe (a water conditioner) and API's Stresszyme. Stresszyme is not the proper bacteria for cycling a tank, it claims it is for breaking down organic sludge.

Tetra SafeStart on the other hand is for cycling your tank. It is basically a bottle of the naturally occurring bacteria that cycles your tank.

9. OP
    OP
    J

Oh okay thanks for the info. I luckily already ordered some safestart.