Cycling tank

firefly1

Reaction score
Once I have my tank cycled and remove 70-90% of my water, do I dechlorinate the water I am going to add prior to putting it in the tank? Also what is a good dechlorinator to use? I thought I had read something about not using a dechlorinator that would effect the ammonia or something like that. I just want to make sure I get my facts straight as this is a very big project for me.x

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Prime doesn't actually remove the ammonia. It detoxifies it making it safer for the fish but still available for the bacteria to feed off of.
I like Stress Coat and like Pink, I use prime if I need it.

griffrat

Reaction score
Depending on your pH requirements, Seachem makes “Neutral” which softens the water and removes the chlorine/chloramines. It is a little bit more expensive, but it does a little more than just the normal tap water conditioning. Once my cycle is done this is the product that I am going to use for my 125g.

However, I have used the API Tap Water conditioner for the past year on my 2.5 gal and it has been a good product.

Minnow

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I've been using API Stress Coat + as I cycle my tank (with fish ) Like Prime, it detoxifies the ammonia, which regular Stress Coat doesn't do. I don't know about Prime, but Stress Coat + makes the ammonia safe for 24 hours, which is good for my daily water changes.

Beeker

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I used Aquasafe for over 10 years, worked great, but I can't find it anymore. Now I use Prime. It also works great, and less is required.

Randall

Valued Member
Reaction score
firefly1 said:
Once I have my tank cycled and remove 70-90% of my water, do I dechlorinate the water I am going to add prior to putting it in the tank? Also what is a good dechlorinator to use? I thought I had read something about not using a dechlorinator that would effect the ammonia or something like that. I just want to make sure I get my facts straight as this is a very big project for me.x
How big is the tank.When you say this is a very big project it sounds like it may be a very large tank.If it is,and you are using a python siphon,then you can add the water and then add the dechlorinator,or add it as you are adding the water back into the tank.If you are using a regular siphon and a bucket,then just add the dechlorniator to the bucket.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom