Help Cycling Tank With Foggy/dirty Water?

Caffee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Okay. So i got my 5.5 gallon tank all set up yesterday, added my water, decor, and live plants to the tank and now i planned on starting my cycle process this morning. But before i put my gravel in yesterday, i added crushed fish food to the bottom of the tank to help with some bacteria growth. Dumb me wasnt thinking and as soon as i added the water after the gravel, some of the food swished up and made a mess in the water which I ultimately cleaned out some of the larger uncrushed chunks and kept the food that was still under the gravel there. I knew the water was now gonna be a little clouded, but i didnt think it would affect much. So, i added my prime conditioner, ran the filter, and allowed it to run to remove anything that might kill the bacteria. But now, this morning, the tank is 5x foggier then before! Almost like a paleish green/yellow color. Will this eventually go away?? Can i even start my cycle now?? Or should i do a 100% water change and re-prime the tank?

Note that this is going to be a shrimp-only tank and i cant add cleaning products that are harmful to the shrimp to clear the water up.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You are going to go through some cloudy days while cycling the tank. I wouldn't add anything that claims to clear up the water. You may want to consider getting some pure ammonia though.

Fish food will work as the ammonia source but it is hard to control the amount of ammonia and it can end up getting kinda of smelly before the cycle is complete.

Caffee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
You are going to go through some cloudy days while cycling the tank. I wouldn't add anything that claims to clear up the water. You may want to consider getting some pure ammonia though.

Fish food will work as the ammonia source but it is hard to control the amount of ammonia and it can end up getting kinda of smelly before the cycle is complete.
I think im just gonna restart. Just discovered that the live pants have to cycle differently in the tank. Great.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think im just gonna restart. Just discovered that the live pants have to cycle differently in the tank. Great.
I am not sure I understand what you mean about having to cycle differently. Cycling a tank is the same process whether one has plants or not.

Caffee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I am not sure I understand what you mean about having to cycle differently. Cycling a tank is the same process whether one has plants or not.
The way i plan on cycling the tank will be affected by the live plants being in the tank due to the fact im adding straight ammonia chloride (tims). So for my case more specifically the plants will affect my cycle. Im a total newbie to all of this so i was a little frustrated when i responded haha ^^’

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The way i plan on cycling the tank will be affected by the live plants being in the tank due to the fact im adding straight ammonia chloride (tims). So for my case more specifically the plants will affect my cycle. Im a total newbie to all of this so i was a little frustrated when i responded haha ^^’
You have come to the right place to get all the help you need. If there is any way I can help you I will try my best.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom