Cycling tank results, is this normal?

1. fishyluv Well Known Member Member

Hi i have a 30 gal tank that cycled last week.Well i noticed yesterday the ammonia was starting to come back.It was .25. Nitrites were 0. nitrates were 5. so i did a big wc. I did 50-60% wc. Now my readings are for ammonia are 0, nitrites 0, nitrates 0. Is it normal when you do a large wc, your nitrates go from 5 to 0? Is it ok for your nitrates to be 0? I hope yall will be patient, i have a few more questions. I have a 25 gal and a 30 gal that are in the process of cycling. The 25 gal will be cycling 14 days tomorrow. My ammonia in this tank is 1.0 The nitrites are 0 and the nitrates are 5. How long before i could do a wc on this tank? I used safe start and i dont know why it is NOT cycling. Ok the last tank is the 30 gal. It has been 8 days cycling with safestart and it is showing it is cycled. The ammonia is 0. The nitrites are 0. The nitrates are 5. Is it normal for tanks to be at 5 for the nitrates?Also although this tank is showing signs of being cycled, it would be best if i waited the 14 days BEFORE doing a wc ,right? Thanks all for reading this! All info is welcomed.

2. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

Ok, for the nitrates on the first 30gl, if 5 is the lowest reading on your test, and you do a lrge waterchange, then it is normal to get a 0 reading, because 5 is the smallest amount the test could measure. Just like if you tryed to measure the thickness of a piece of paper with a yardstick. The paper is there but is so small the ruler cannot measure it.

For the 25gal, if you still have the same readings tomorrow I would say the Safestart didn't work ( although it did something or you wouldn't get a nitrate reading) you can either start doing daily waterchanges until the cycle finishes, or do a large waterchange and try a second bottle of safestart.

For the other 30gal, Safestart should cycle a tank in 10 to 14days, so I would wait until atleast the 10th day to do a waterchange, although I don't think it would really hurt to wait for day 14.

Hope I helped.

3. fishyluv Well Known Member Member

Thanks Lexi, I am just getting worried about the 25 having that 1.0 ammonia. I have two blood parrots in it that are spawning. The smaller one has gotten black spots on it in the last few days. Just wondering if it is the spawning or the ammonia. Seems to be fine. eating and acting well. so tommorow if the results are the same, i will just do a wc. What is the biggest wc that i could do the first time? I need that ammonia to drop. Thanks

4. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

If that other tank does not have safestart in it then I would think two back to back 50s would be fine, could even go a bit bigger with it if you wanted to, say back to back 75s. If it does have safe start you might have to try and hang in there.

5. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

What does your untreated tap water test for nitrate? With every tank at 5PPM, I suspect this may be the source and not having a cycled tank. Hopefully I am wrong, but find it odd to have multiple tanks all reading 5PPM.

TSS is designed to protect your fish during the 14 day cycle period. And, unless your fish are acting stressed, stop testing your tanks until at least 10 days have passed. Otherwise, you are going to drive yourself crazy. It is not unusual to test 1PPM ammonia or nitrite and have healthy fish.

6. fishyluv Well Known Member Member

I tested my tap and it says 0. It was 14 days yesterday for my 25 gal and ammonia was still 1.0 so i did a 50% wc. It took it down in half to .50 so i did another wc and now it is 0. Hopefully things will stay ok. I will stay on top of my readings for sure. Thanks Catsma