Cycling Tank Question

LaurieCory

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi. I’m on day #10 of cycling my freshwater tank. I’m ok with being patient, but wanted to ask if it’s “normal” for my ammonia to be at 2ppm for the past 3 days as the nitrite is slowly climbing (today at .5, yesterday at .25). I’m doing a fishless cycle using Aquavitro’s Seed and kicked it off with Dr Tim’s ammonium chloride. I stopped adding Seed after the 7 days per the bottle’s instructions, but wonder if adding a few ml of Seed will help move things along. Not sure if this matters for this question, but I have live plants in the tank while cycling, plus a few bladder snails that hitchhiked their way in on the plants. Thank you.

Heron

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Keeping your ammonia at 2 is ideal for cycling. As your nitrites rise the ammonia will drop but you should keep it at 2 by adding as needed. Once the ammonia is all used up in 24 hours and the nitrites have dropped back to 0 and you have nitrates then you are done.

Joshuaharestad

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'm going to preface that I don't consider myself an expert on cycling. But I know it gets worse before getting better. Sounds to me like you're about where you should be. Your beneficial bacteria is growing and converting ammonia to nitrates. Eventually your ammonia should drop to 0. Nitrates will still be higher unless you have lots of plants. The snails are a source of ammonia so as long as the bb has a source for food it should cycle properly.

LaurieCory

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Keeping your ammonia at 2 is ideal for cycling. As your nitrites rise the ammonia will drop but you should keep it at 2 by adding as needed. Once the ammonia is all used up in 24 hours and the nitrites have dropped back to 0 and you have nitrates then you are done.
Thanks for your help with this, Heron. Your explanation is greatly appreciated.

LaurieCory

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm going to preface that I don't consider myself an expert on cycling. But I know it gets worse before getting better. Sounds to me like you're about where you should be. Your beneficial bacteria is growing and converting ammonia to nitrates. Eventually your ammonia should drop to 0. Nitrates will still be higher unless you have lots of plants. The snails are a source of ammonia so as long as the bb has a source for food it should cycle properly.
Thank you so much for your response! This community is so supportive.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom