Cycling tank nitrite and nitrate suddenly zero

madisons obbsession

So my 6 gallon tank has been cycling for a couple weeks now, but the parameters seem pretty weird now.

4 days ago, the ammonia was at 1 ppm, nitrite at 0.5, and the nitrate had spiked all the way to 20. I cleaned out a large amount of decaying hornwort and topped off with prime treated water. A day later, I did a half dose of tetra safe start plus ( its worked really well for me in the past).

Today I just tested the water, and ammonia is at 2 ppm, nitrite at 0, and nitrate at 0. It's been awhile since I cycled a tank, but this seems strange to me. I didn't do a water change or anything that should cause the sudden drop (that i know of at least). Perhaps the safe start caused the nitrite to drop, but that doesn't explain the disappearance of nitrate. I also didn't do anything in the tank in the days in between, such as add in more ammonia or safe start.

mattgirl

Seeing no nitrates why no water changes have been done is unusual. Did you re-run the test to double check the reading?

I am wondering though. If you are running all the tanks you have listed in your aquarium details I have to ask why you've not just moved some media from those tanks to this one to instantly cycle it instead of adding bacteria in a bottle. The bacteria in your cycled tanks should work better and quicker than anything in a bottle.

madisons obbsession

mattgirl said:
Seeing no nitrates why no water changes have been done is unusual. Did you re-run the test to double check the reading?

I am wondering though. If you are running all the tanks you have listed in your aquarium details I have to ask why you've not just moved some media from those tanks to this one to instantly cycle it instead of adding bacteria in a bottle. The bacteria in your cycled tanks should work better and quicker than anything in a bottle.
I did re-run the tests, and those were the same results. I just retested today, and my parameters are showing the cycle should be done soon.

The information in my aquarium details hasn´t been updated in a few years. I had gotten really busy and had some issues that forced me to rehome all of my previous tanks, so I am starting fresh now that everything is getting back to normal.

mattgirl

madisons obbsession said:
I did re-run the tests, and those were the same results. I just retested today, and my parameters are showing the cycle should be done soon.

The information in my aquarium details hasn´t been updated in a few years. I had gotten really busy and had some issues that forced me to rehome all of my previous tanks, so I am starting fresh now that everything is getting back to normal.
Gotcha, now I understand why you are having to start from scratch. Hopefully all will soon be done. I too was out of the hobby for about 6 years. It took me a solid 6 weeks to go from dry to a fully cycled tank. You too will get there. :)

I have found when folks use bottled bacteria they can get some really strange parameter readings. Yours are a perfect example of that. It is possible the nitrate reading was a reasult of adding the TSS but who can know for sure.

This (Seeing no nitrates why no water changes have been done is unusual ) in my previous post should have been Seeing no nitrates when no water changes have been done is unusual. Sorry about that. I really should have proof read before posting.

madisons obbsession

Don´t worry, I knew what you meant :)

I'm guessing I have about a week left of cycling, and then I should be in the clear to start stocking the tank.

Thanks for the help!

Top Bottom