Cycling tank has cloudy water and bits floating..

kippielynn

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have read the other threads and this is normal, but my question is should I put carbon back in my tank to help with this? My water parameters are all good, just hard water and higher pH but been doing frequent changes as my fish was sick and is not (at least no signs on parasites) but his fins still are showing signs of fin rot.. I am concerned that the water is somehow part of this. Could the lack of carbon and floating bits for cycling causing my little guy to get rot still? I realize his internal parasites could also have weakened his immune system so possibly just that. I am just questioning if I should put the carbon filter or a carbon bag back in- thanks!

TWiG87

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
There’s really no need for carbon unless you are trying to remove meds or something similar. FWIW, I never use carbon in my filters. Keep doing water changes and monitoring your parameters and you should see your fish improve.

OP
kippielynn

kippielynn

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
TWiG87 said:
There’s really no need for carbon unless you are trying to remove meds or something similar. FWIW, I never use carbon in my filters. Keep doing water changes and monitoring your parameters and you should see your fish improve.
OK thanks! Poor guy, I know not ideal to in-fish cycle. We are almost there.. I will keep up with it then.

Sorry to ask another question, but is there a better way to in-fish cycle to speed it up? For instance, can I take some sponge from on existing filter to help start a new tank and jump start the process? I am looking to get another tank and trying to see if that would work to help cycle another tank before I get the fish? Or would that not really do anything? TIA!

TWiG87

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yes, a sponge some substrate or anything similar that bacteria can colonize on well greatly help your cycle. I also would look into getting some Prime for your current cycle if you aren’t using it already

OP
kippielynn

kippielynn

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Great thanks! I do have Prime. The only thing I think I don't have is API StressCoat - just not sure if should be using while I cycle.. thanks for your help!

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom