Cycling tank and suddenly PH is 8.3

Sheabutter315

It seems like I’m nearing the end of my cycling process which I was so happy about but I randomly decided to test the ph since I’m planning on adding fish very soon and my PH has risen to 8.3 from 7.2 in a week. Not sure what could be causing it, since I have been adding new stuff to the tank to get the cycle going. It’s 55 gallons with lots of driftwood so it seems really odd to me. Ammonia is .25ppm, no nitrites and nitrates are 30ppm. I did add some hornwort to the tank 3 days ago but I don’t see how one little plant could change the ph so drastically.

Are there any reasons a PH could drastically rise when cycling? And does anyone think it would be ok for fish to be in a tank with a ph of 8.3? I have read that fish should be able to adapt and that consistency is more important than the number, however now I’m worried about a lack of consistency given this recent spike.

MasterPython

What is your tapwater PH?

Sheabutter315

MasterPython said:
What is your tapwater PH?
Just tested to be sure- its 7.2
I also added air stones, and the bubbles do seem a little strong- could that be causing the increase in ph?

Roman96

Take some tap water and let it sit out for 24 hours, then test it. Usually water is filled with co2 when it comes out the tap (which lowers ph) and when left out to degass, the ph increases to its normal value.

Sheabutter315

RomanNoodles96 said:
Take some tap water and let it sit out for 24 hours, then test it. Usually water is filled with co2 when it comes out the tap (which lowers ph) and when left out to degass, the ph increases to its normal value.
OK will do!

Latest threads

Top Bottom