Cycling Tank 2

NanaW
Courious I am starting to Fishless cycle my 3 g tank while my Betta sits in his 1.4g semI cycled tank ( can you tell I’m new at this )
My question is when the new one finishes cycling can I poor the water from his tank into the new one or would that ruin the cycle and the filter from old can I move to new for the media it would go in with the one there

Waterloo
I would net the fish and not mix water at all

WTFish?
What is “semI cycled?” If the tank he’s in isn’t cycled anyway then just put him in the 3 gallon with the old filter media and decor, substrate etc. top off with treated water. It’s what I would do anyway.

imba
What is “semI cycled?” If the tank he’s in isn’t cycled anyway then just put him in the 3 gallon with the old filter media and decor, substrate etc. top off with treated water. It’s what I would do anyway.

Yeah agreed, just move the betta now and cycle in the new 3 gallon instead. The bacteria you need to cycle your tank are in the substrate, decors, and mainly your filter media.

mattgirl
If it were me I would just go ahead and move EVERYTHING including water and fish over to the bigger tank and allow the semi-cycle to continue growing in the bigger tank instead of keeping him in such a small home. Be sure to either move the media from the filter on the small tank over to the filter for the bigger tank or if possible just go ahead and run both filters on the one tank until the cycle is complete.

NanaW
semI cycled is not cycled he has just been in it for over a week and it hasn't cycled but I bought the new tank and wondered if I should move him over I have heard both

So to move him over should I put him in a container of his water and switch it all over or just take piece by piece from the tank until its just water and fish sorry I can only learn from you guys I appreciate it.

mattgirl
I would put him and some of his water in some kind of container while you make the move. It will be less stressful for him this way. Once he is out just transfer everything over to the bigger tank. Once it is all set up check to make sure the temp is the same in the tank and the container he has been in. if it is the close to the same just pour him right in.

NanaW
I would put him and some of his water in some kind of container while you make the move. It will be less stressful for him this way. Once he is out just transfer everything over to the bigger tank. Once it is all set up check to make sure the temp is the same in the tank and the container he has been in. if it is the close to the same just pour him right in.

Thank you Mattgirl you have been such a big help, I feel so silly asking all these questions but this is my first fish. I try to google lots of it but there is so much different stuff out there I'm already attached to this silly little guy and I don't want to kill him

Okay tank is holding at 78F looks good although sparse I do have some live plants coming but they take forever I will post a pic soon I have to do it from my phone only thing I don't like is his filter is a lot nosier than his other one was

mattgirl
You are so very welcome. I was so happy to help.

I totally understand how overwhelming all the difference of opinions can be and do know just how quickly we get attached to these wonderful little creatures and want to do whatever we can to keep them healthy and hopefully happy.

Be sure to let me know if you have more questions.

NanaW

Image1537322913.702404.jpg

How can I tell if he is stressed from the move he has been darting up and down one side of the tank I turned his light off to see if that would calm him a little

mattgirl
Beautiful little tank for a beautiful little creature If you don't already have something you may want to put a plant or something where the top of it is close to the top of the tank. Lots of Bettas like to snooze close to the top.

How can I tell if he is stressed from the move he has been darting up and down one side of the tank I turned his light off to see if that would calm him a little
I would just turn the light off and give him time to settle in. He has had quite the adventure today and it might take him several hours to get used to his new home.

NanaW
Beautiful little tank for a beautiful little creature If you don't already have something you may want to put a plant or something where the top of it is close to the top of the tank. Lots of Bettas like to snooze close to the top.

I would just turn the light off and give him time to settle in. He has had quite the adventure today and it might take him several hours to get used to his new home.

I saw a few people say the had leaves attached to the side of tank with a suction cup is that what you mean

We think alike lol

mattgirl
I saw a few people say the had leaves attached to the side of tank with a suction cup is that what you mean
I think so. I know I've heard about something called a betta hammock. I've never seen one though so am not exactly sure what they look like. Years ago when I had Bettas I had tall plants with big leaves that they seemed to like.

NanaW
I think so. I know I've heard about something called a betta hammock. I've never seen one though so am not exactly sure what they look like. Years ago when I had Bettas I had tall plants with big leaves that they seemed to like.
I do have some leaves coming for him but they are healing leaves to keep him healthier they just sit on the bottom of the tank maybe I can find a way to attach one close to the top of the tank

DuaneV
Honestly, the tank is super bare and there are a couple of BRIGHT "things" in the bottom. Might be spooking your fish. Get those plastic plants out and put a couple of big anubias in there. It will look 100 times better, help filter the water AND your betta will love it. And anubias are super easy to care for. If you're doing weekly water changes and running the light for 6 hours a day, that's all you have to do.

NanaW
Honestly, the tank is super bare and there are a couple of BRIGHT "things" in the bottom. Might be spooking your fish. Get those plastic plants out and put a couple of big anubias in there. It will look 100 times better, help filter the water AND your betta will love it. And anubias are super easy to care for. If you're doing weekly water changes and running the light for 6 hours a day, that's all you have to do.
I have live plants coming very soon I have been home sick so haven't gone and gotten any no plastic plants they are silk, I am doing water change every 2 days I am cycling take with fish his light stays on about 10hrs we does pretty good he has perked right back up and acting like he always does

WTFish?
View attachment 480618

Beautiful, sorry I got busy and couldn’t keep up. I’m glad people walked you through it. He will be much happier. I see you say you have some live plants coming? That would be great. I also recommend an anubias. Very easy to care for, Betta will love lounging on the broad leaves. Here’s a Betta hammockZoo Med Betta Bed Leaf Hammock
Good for you for upgrading his tank. Good luck!

NanaW
Beautiful, sorry I got busy and couldn’t keep up. I’m glad people walked you through it. He will be much happier. I see you say you have some live plants coming? That would be great. I also recommend an anubias. Very easy to care for, Betta will love lounging on the broad leaves. Here’s a Betta hammockZoo Med Betta Bed Leaf Hammock
Good for you for upgrading his tank. Good luck!

Thank you when I get more confident I will go bigger hammock ordered

Lacey D
For the future, one of the most experienced fish keepers I knows cycles all his new tanks by vacuuming the substrate from one tank into a bucket, and then dumping that into the new one, along with cycled filter media (or a sponge filter). I have used that technique myself for a nearly instant and effortless cycle. Unless you're moving a fish due to disease, it's fine to transfer water with them--up to the point where you would normally do a water change, so say 80% old water, 20% new, or 50/50, depending on the nitrates. And the more substrate/decorations/plants, etc from the old into the new, the better for maintaining what bacteria have already colonized. And it's better to maintain your existing colony, than used the bottled bacteria because those are generalized and not as specific to your setup as even a half-cycled colony is

Best of luck!

NanaW
For the future, one of the most experienced fish keepers I knows cycles all his new tanks by vacuuming the substrate from one tank into a bucket, and then dumping that into the new one, along with cycled filter media (or a sponge filter). I have used that technique myself for a nearly instant and effortless cycle. Unless you're moving a fish due to disease, it's fine to transfer water with them--up to the point where you would normally do a water change, so say 80% old water, 20% new, or 50/50, depending on the nitrates. And the more substrate/decorations/plants, etc from the old into the new, the better for maintaining what bacteria have already colonized. And it's better to maintain your existing colony, than used the bottled bacteria because those are generalized and not as specific to your setup as even a half-cycled colony is

Best of luck!

So the small filter from his old tank is it ok to just put it in the tank or try to squeeze in with new filter

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
mattgirl
Replies
Views
SarahLo
Top Bottom