Cycling Questions 10 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Tank Equipment' started by pinksprklmonkey, Apr 1, 2010.

1. p

pinksprklmonkey Valued Member Member

Ok- so I'm currently cycling my 10 gallon with a shrimp.

My one raw shrimp is in a mesh bag (man, the look on the guy's face who was working the seafood counter was priceless when I asked him for one shrimp! LOL), and in my tank.

So I've got my heater running at 80 degrees, filter running, gravel set up (both new and some from an existing tank at my LFS).

I've also got my air pump ready to go with an air stone. Is this needed or can I wait to run it till I have my fish?

Also, I was thinking I'd test the water once a week till I've got the right levels. Does this sound about right? I'm so excited!! Finally!!!

Oh, one more thing. Can I add some plants slowly as it cycles? Or do I need to add them all at once, or add them once I have the fish? I want this process to go as smoothly/quickly as possible.

Thanks!

2. blueiristyson

blueiristyson Valued Member Member

Sounds good. I think you are doing it right. The only thing I would suggest is add flake food everyday just like your feeding actual fish. This will help the process. Good Luck

3. Hendryx

Hendryx Valued Member Member

Sounds good! you can add all your plants and air stone ect now, have your tank set up the way you want it, the plants will actually help your tank along, there is no need to also add flake food with the shrimp, the shrimp should be just fine, testing your water once a week also sounds good to me, keep a log..when you get.
    0ppm ammonia
    0ppm nitrite
    and a low nitrate reading
    your cycled and can add a fish or 2 after a nice water change.
    what type of test kit are you useing? the api master test kit is awsome and acurate.

4. OP
    OP
    p

I ordered that kit today. Should be here before I need to do my first water test. Also, I know EVERYONE asks this and there is no for sure way to know, but any guesses on about how long?? I really want to get my fish. :)

5. midthought

midthought Well Known Member Member

I think it varies for everyone but you're probably looking at 4-5 weeks. Maybe less with warmer water? Not sure on how much temp plays a role.

6. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Pinks,

Congrats on doing a fishless cycle! I hope the seafood counter gave you the 1 shrimp for free! lol If your heater is adjustable then I recommend bumping up the temperature to 84 or 86 degrees. Warm temperatures will help to speed up the process.

I also agree with Hendryx. Adding your plants and decorations now will help also. The more surface area you have in the tank, the more housing you have for good bacteria. The good bacteria isn't free swimming but attached to all surface areas of your tank with the highest concentrations of it being in your filter and your substrate. Too, anything porous that you add will benefit your tank too. Terracotta pots (not painted or glazed in any way) or any terracotta ornaments, lava rock as 2 examples.

Best wishes for a speedy cycle. Please keep us updated.
    Ken

7. OP
    OP
    p

Ok, awesome. I'll put in my plants/decorations tomorrow then. I'm also starting my 55 gallon tomorrow. How many shrimp should I put in that one? 5? Thanks, and I'll keep you all updated :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice