Cycling Questions

alice5

Hey everyone,

I’ve been thinking about getting a 20 gallon for my guppies because my 10 gallon has just been way too populated recently and it’s hard to keep the nitrates down.
The issue is that im still new to cycling tanks and it’s a little confusing, i have dr. tim’s ammonia (the liquid one) what else should i use? also how should i do the process in the most efficient way? i’ve been trying to cycle this plastic 5 gallon tub for one of my other fish and it’s been a confusing ride so im here to get some advice.

Fisch

Do you plan to move the whole stock into the 20gl, or do you plan to split?
What kind of filter do you have in your 10gl, what is the planned filter for the 20gl?

alice5

I plan on moving all my fishes to the 20 gallon and then putting a divider in it to split the males and the females so they don’t breed after that. in my 10 gallon right now i have a HOB filter. and for the 20 gallon i bought a sponge filter which i’m planning to use.

Fisch

You should be able to utilize the HOB filter in the 20gl as an instant cycle. I understand the stock will not increase so the BB should be able to handle the load until the sponge is growing new BB.
You should be able to utilize the HOB filter in the 20gl as an instant cycle. I understand the stock will not increase so the BB should be able to handle the load until the sponge is growing new BB.
Just watch the parameters very closely.

alice5

ooooh i haven’t thought of that at all, thank you i’ll definitely try that!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
mattgirl
Replies
Views
mattgirl
  • Question
Replies
Views
AquaCaitlin
  • Question