Cycling questions!

Highlander88

I have more questions. I do try to find answers before I post because I'm posting a lot but I just wanna get things right.

Quick back story. Bought tank. Started fishless cycling. 2 weeks later the pet shop person told me I could add fish. I didn't know all about testing waters and such. After a week the glofish tetra started acting weird so it was a battle to save them with water changes a couple times daily. I tested the water a lot after that and there was ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. This was a couple weeks ago so I can't remember the numbers but with my test numbers I know that the cycling was happening.

So this last week I have been so busy and sick and I haven't tested the water but today I did and there was 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and 0 nitrates. Where did my nitrates go? I hadn't done a water change since I last tested and the nitrates were definitely there.

It's a 10 gallon. 3 glofish tetras, 1 cherry shrimp and 1 mystery snail. 2 java ferns. pH was 6.8-7

Did the cycle just stop? Did it disappear? Everyone seems happy and healthy so I'm confused about the 0 nitrates. I thought I needed those?

Dechi

People who start in the hobby often don’t do the nitrate test the right way. Do you use the APi test master ?

If so you need to shake bottle #1 a few seconds, add 10 drops to the tube, shake bottle # 2 for 30 seconds, add 10 drops to the tube and shake the tube for 60 seconds.

Then, let it sit for 5 minutes before looking at the color against the color chart.

If you haven’t done that, the result might be false.

Upvote 0

Highlander88

People who start in the hobby often don’t do the nitrate test the right way. Do you use the APi test master ?

If so you need to shake bottle #1 a few seconds, add 10 drops to the tube, shake bottle # 2 for 30 seconds, add 10 drops to the tube and shake the tube for 60 seconds.

Then, let it sit for 5 minutes before looking at the color against the color chart.

Yes I actually followed the directions exactly how I should have. I even set a timer for shaking bottle 2 and the 1 minute shake. I made sure to read the booklet it came with so I didn't make any mistakes.

Upvote 0

Flyfisha

A point to get your head around Highlander88, nitrates are the poop from bacteria not the bacteria themselves.

Have you tested your tap water for nitrates? / ammonia?

The only things that will kill bacteria are drying out, chlorine and some medications .

Keep adding conditioner to change water to neutralise the chlorine and the bacteria will still be ON any hard surfaces.

According to some people the reagents in bottle 2 of the nitrates test settle over time if the bottle was sitting on a shelf. They say bash the bottle on the underside of a table until the police are called.

Upvote 0

Highlander88

A point to get your head around Highlander88, nitrates are the poop from bacteria not the bacteria themselves.

Have you tested your tap water for nitrates? / ammonia?

The only things that will kill bacteria are drying out, chlorine and some medications .

Keep adding conditioner to change water to neutralise the chlorine and the bacteria will still be ON any hard surfaces.

According to some people the reagents in bottle 2 of the nitrates test settle over time if the bottle was sitting on a shelf. They say bash the bottle on the underside of a table until the police are called.

Ok thank you. I was just worried the cycle had just completely stopped since all 3 were at 0 and I had missed it and would need to start again . I have tested my tap water there were 0 nitrates and a slight change in the ammonia test but it really was just slight. If there were no fish in this tank I would probably relax more and let it do its thing. But I will feel bad for the rest of my life if the fish died because of something I did or didn't do. I appreciate the reply.

Upvote 0

Highlander88

I tested the water again this morning and now there is high nitrites but still no ammonia or nitrates. Do I need to add ammonia? Is the fish waste not producing enough ammonia to keep the cycle going? I tested it all twice just now and for the same.reading each time.

Upvote 0

Dechi

I tested the water again this morning and now there is high nitrites but still no ammonia or nitrates.

The best is to post a picture of your results or at least give us the exact numbers. Sometimes it’s hard to know what exact number it is and with a picture we can help with that.

I need to know what level your nitrites are before recommending to add ammonia or not.

Upvote 0

Flyfisha

You have fish in the tank do not add ammonia Highlander88.

In a cycled tank with fish we do not see ammonia in tests because the bacteria consume it.

The nitrites you have are a result of the first kind of bacteria eating the ammonia . A good thing.

Upvote 0

Dechi

I believe Highlander88 has chosen to start a new thread with her test results.

Upvote 0

mattgirl

I believe Highlander88 has chosen to start a new thread with her test results.
I am thinking her other thread is a different tank. If I am understanding correctly this 10 gallon has fish in it. In this case the fish are providing the ammonia so of course no extra ammonia should be added. The other thread is her 29 gallon tank and is being fishless cycled.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
OperaGhostOG
  • Question
Replies
Views
CoconutTheBetta
  • Question
Replies