Cycling questions for a 10 gallon?

firemouthfreak

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
So I just recently bought a 10 gall tank for spare use and I was wondering:

Could I take the tank water from my established 46 gallon and fill the 10 gallon with it without starting another cycle? I wouldn't just take the water, I'd be taking a pot and and some fake plants along with the water. I'll also be installing a new filter to the tank too. (If this helps)

Kupcake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
If you put some filter floss or a filter sponge in your established tanks filter the BB will grow on it and then you can put it in your filter for the 10gal and the cycle could take as little as 5-7 days. Water doesn't hold any of the BB and your plants probably won't either, the terra cotta pot (if that is what it is) will hold some, but the majority is in your filter.

Do you have something to put in the 10 gal right away? If not I would put extra sponge in your filter, or run your 10 gal filter on your 46 (next to your regular filter) for a couple weeks the just move the media or actual filter back to the 10 gal and you will be cycled pretty quick. For future referance, you could always keep some extra sponges in your filters so if your tank does cycle or you get a new tank you will have seeded material to start with right away.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
firemouthfreak said:
So I just recently bought a 10 gall tank for spare use and I was wondering:

Could I take the tank water from my established 46 gallon and fill the 10 gallon with it without starting another cycle? I wouldn't just take the water, I'd be taking a pot and and some fake plants along with the water. I'll also be installing a new filter to the tank too. (If this helps)
There's no real benefit to using tank water. All you would need to do is take a piece of filter media from your existing tank and put it in the new tanks filter. You would need to add a couple fish that same day.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

Congrats on the new tank. The above posters are correct that water doesn't contain the necessary bacteria to start a new cycle as the bacteria is not free swimming but attached to all surface areas of your tank and filter. The largest concentrations of the beneficial bacteria (BB) being in the filter and your substrate.

Here is a link on Seeding that you may find helpful:
https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/please-remember-cycling-with-established-filter-media.66727/

Ken

firemouthfreak

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Ok thanks!

firemouthfreak

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Kupcake said:
If you put some filter floss or a filter sponge in your established tanks filter the BB will grow on it and then you can put it in your filter for the 10gal and the cycle could take as little as 5-7 days. Water doesn't hold any of the BB and your plants probably won't either, the terra cotta pot (if that is what it is) will hold some, but the majority is in your filter.

Do you have something to put in the 10 gal right away? If not I would put extra sponge in your filter, or run your 10 gal filter on your 46 (next to your regular filter) for a couple weeks the just move the media or actual filter back to the 10 gal and you will be cycled pretty quick. For future referance, you could always keep some extra sponges in your filters so if your tank does cycle or you get a new tank you will have seeded material to start with right away.
Kinda, I just want to get the tank cycled asap because aggression issues are starting to arise with 2 of my Firemouth fry and I want to separate a few of them.

The filter for the 10 gallon is running in the 46 gallon tank now, Can I move the filter in a week? And start adding the fish to the 10 gallon?

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I think it takes longer than a week to seed it, more like 3 or 4 weeks.

firemouthfreak

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Meenu said:
I think it takes longer than a week to seed it, more like 3 or 4 weeks.
Really? I started from scratch with my 46 gallon about 3-4 months ago and it cycled in 3 weeks with no use of old filter material. I'll go with your advice just to be safe.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Oh, you don't have to. I'm just passing on what I've read here.

Are you adding used filter media into that filter, or are you running the filter on a different tank for a week and then switching it over?

firemouthfreak

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Meenu said:
Oh, you don't have to. I'm just passing on what I've read here.

Are you adding used filter media into that filter, or are you running the filter on a different tank for a week and then switching it over?
I don't think I can do the first option seeing is that I have a canister filter on my 46 gallon and this is just new one is the kind that hangs over your tank.

So, I'm doing option 2.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Okay.

Good luck to you. If you decide to more the filter over after a week of running it on the new tank, then please keep a close eye on your parameters for a couple of weeks.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads