Cycling Questions and Updates

1. PythonTheBetta Member Member

Ok so I finally filled the tank and put Prime in(guessed on the dosage but didn't put much in) but I need to know a few things:
    How much Stability do I add to a 2.5 gallon tank?
    How much ammonia should I add?
    Does it matter what order I add the ammonia and Stability?

I'll also use this thread to post daily test results

2. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Stability will give you the dosage on the back of the bottle.

For ammonia, start with a few drops and check your ppm. Add a few more if needed. There's a rough formula to it, but I don't remember where it's located. CindiL - do you know?

It doesn't matter the order, just make sure the tank doesn't go 24 hours without ammonia or the bacteria in Stability will die.

3. PythonTheBetta Member Member

The back of the bottle has the dosage for a 10 gallon, not a 2.5 gallon. But it still confuses me, do I need to add it everyday?

4. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Divide the dosage by 1/4 then.

And yes, you need to add Stability every day until it's cycled.

5. CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

Hi, At the bottom of this one, you can calculate your ammonia dosing:
    http://www.fishforums.net/aquarium-calculator.htm

I show .15ml for 2gallons and 2ppm ammonia.

The dosing is 1 capful per 10g for stability. I would go ahead and dose the capful per day. You can't overdose the bacteria, and with ammonia close to 2.0, better to add more than less. I would continue dosing this until the cycle is complete. I actually emailed them on this recently and they said the reason they don't have you dose more is to prevent a bacterial bloom. I think when you're fishless cycling it really doesn't matter if there is a bloom and what would be more important is having enough bacteria.

Once your ammonia is at 0, don't immediately re-dose ammonia, let's see where your nitrites are at first. We'll see this if you post your results daily or every other day.

6. PythonTheBetta Member Member

Update: (pictures soon) I added the capful of Stability and guessed on the ammonia. But I realized I haven't been waiting the full five minutes for the colors to change in the tests... so this test I'm doing right, I set a timer and will post a picture of the results when it's done

Update: the timer went off and scared me half to death. [​IMG] Clearly not enough ammonia
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Not sure if nitrite and nitrate really matter at this point

Update: added a capful of ammonia, testing again, now we wait. it's been about 30 seconds and it's already darkening.

*5 minutes later*
    [​IMG] Looks a bit higher than 2 ppm, that should be okay though, right?

7. CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

What did you end up dosing to? The first one looked like .50 to me.

8. PythonTheBetta Member Member

I added a tiny drop(not even a measurement for it on the syringe) and then a capful

9. CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

I mean what is your ammonia reading now in your tank? :)

10. PythonTheBetta Member Member

sorry about that! I just woke up so give me a few minutes and I will test it

Update:[​IMG]
    should I add another capful of Stablility now?

11. PythonTheBetta Member Member

Just got home, added a capful of stability. Waiting for ammonia results now

Results: seems a bit lower? [​IMG]

also: is this normal? https://vimeo.com/171354853
    there's small particles floating and condensation on the front. (don't mind the cat hair, it's only on the outside)

12. CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

Hard to tell with the lighting, maybe lighter. You can't hurt adding the stability, it will only help.

Are they actually particles or is that O2 bubbles? Might just be temporary from the stability or could they be from the filter floss? Did you rinse it first.

As far as condensation (do you mean on the outside of the glass?) I would only expect that if the outside air is warmer than the tank? What temperature do you have the tank at?

13. PythonTheBetta Member Member

There aren't as many particles this morning and they aren't air bubbles. I didn't rinse the filter media, I didn't know I was supposed to.

The condensation is on the inside(and the tank is acrylic if that makes a difference). The tank is at 78 right now(no heater, the house stays pretty warm)

14. CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

Is it like small bubbles on the inside of the acrylic? Under the water? I can't see it in the video.

15. PythonTheBetta Member Member

it's just condensation on the inside of the tank

16. PythonTheBetta Member Member

Alright... This confuses me
    [​IMG]
    Ammonia is staying the same, there's no nitrites but nitrates are high. (the picture makes it seem a bit darker but they're still high)

Added a capful of Stability earlier. Can someone explain what's happening with the levels?

17. CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

The bacteria don't all grow at the same rate at the same time, especially when you're adding in bacteria from a bottle like Stability. What this tells you at the moment is that you have some bacteria to convert ammonia > nitrites > nitrates but enough of all the bacteria since you obviously still have ammonia.

As ammonia gets converted there is usually a lag and thats when you'll see 0 ammonia and elevated levels of nitrites but some nitrates.

18. PythonTheBetta Member Member

due to the filter breaking(or getting ready to break) cycling has been postponed hopefully I can exchange the tank for a new one (different brand of course)