Cycling question. Question

1. RedRumBetta Member Member

This may be the wrong place for this but I just bought a 20 gallon starter kit which I won't use for a couple of weeks or so. But when I do, if I use the same gravel and filter along with the new filter will that help with the cycling? I know I should wait to add new fish, but what about the ones I have now?

Thanks!

2. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

yes you can use the filter, gravel, and any decorations to help with an instant cycle....thats provided the tank is truely cycled, and a good size compared to the one your setting up...

3. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Since you are upgrading from a 10 to 20 gallon, your 10 gallon won't have enough bacteria established to set up an instant cycle in the new, bigger tank. However, any little bit helps.

Here's what I would do: leave the fish in the 10 gallon for now. Pad the 10's filter with extra media, and also put extra media into the 10 tank. If you can, hook the new filter up to the 10g as well. Wait for the couple of weeks until you are ready to set up the new 20. Then move the extra media from the 10 filter and tank, and the 20 filter you've had set up. This should give you a huge boost in setting up the bacterial colony in the 20.

If you are going to keep the 10 set up, I'd leave the fish in there, and cycle the 20 with ammonia. Since you'll have it seeded, it shouldn' t take long. If you are tearing down the 10 and shifting to the 20, then hook up both filters to the 20 after they've been running in the 10 for a couple of weeks, add the fish, and so daily water tests with an API kit. If you detect ammonia or nitrites, do water changes with Prime.

4. RedRumBetta Member Member

Thank you very much! I was assuming that I could put both filters in the 10 gal and then move them over to the 20 after a while to help it along. Oh, yeah, would it also help the cycling in the 20 gallon if I moved the water from the 10 gallon into the new 20 gallon and yes I'm completely tearing down the 10 gal.