Cycling Question

1. soccermatt Member Member

hi,
    I have just recently set up a freshwater tropical aquarium. I am trying to get it cycled before Christmas for my sister so i can hopefully add about 5 cherry barbs around the 24th of December.
    The guy at the fish store recomended that i use Stablity to help cycle my aquarium, and i am also adding a few fish flakes every 12 hours.
    Yesterday when i took my water tests the amonia levels were at about .50, and the nitrite at .0. Today my amonia levels read around .75 - 1.0, and my nitrite still 0. I was wondering at what level both the amonia levels and nitrite levels peek at, and if there is anything further that i can do to help speed up the cycle of my aquarium.

Thanks

2. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

welcome to fishlore (if i havent already!!)stability isnt a bacteria that will cycle the tank unless you use it for life...and add it weekly..tetra safestart is the only one so far, thats proven to cycle a tank with sucess...

3. fishingman001 Well Known Member Member

4. flyin-lowe Well Known Member Member

Using flake food and a fishless cycle it will be tough to get it done before Christmas since you just started. Your options as I see them are to continue to go with the fishless cycle and don't worry about a date. Some get done in 3 or 4 weeks and some take 8 weeks. If you are dead set on having fish by Christmas get some of the fish and a bottle of Tetra Safe Start as mentioned above.
    When i was cycling my 75 gal tank my ammonia stayed between .25 and .50 for about 7 weeks and I never did see nitrites or nitrates indicating I was still in the beginning stages of the cycle. I used the TSS and it was successful in 7 days. Also if you don't have any fish in the tank crank the heater up that can help speed along the process.

5. erk419 Member Member

Instead of using fish flakes I would go and by a bottle of pure ammonia and follow the fishless cycle method. Also if you can get your hands on some filter media from a cycled mature tank that will help speed things along.