Cycling Question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle' started by soccermatt, Dec 12, 2009.

1. soccermattValued MemberMember

hi,
    I have just recently set up a freshwater tropical aquarium. I am trying to get it cycled before Christmas for my sister so i can hopefully add about 5 cherry barbs around the 24th of December.
    The guy at the fish store recomended that i use Stablity to help cycle my aquarium, and i am also adding a few fish flakes every 12 hours.
    Yesterday when i took my water tests the amonia levels were at about .50, and the nitrite at .0. Today my amonia levels read around .75 - 1.0, and my nitrite still 0. I was wondering at what level both the amonia levels and nitrite levels peek at, and if there is anything further that i can do to help speed up the cycle of my aquarium.

Thanks

2. Shawnie

ShawnieFishlore LegendMember

welcome to fishlore (if i havent already!!)stability isnt a bacteria that will cycle the tank unless you use it for life...and add it weekly..tetra safestart is the only one so far, thats proven to cycle a tank with sucess...

3. fishingman001

fishingman001Well Known MemberMember

4. flyin-loweWell Known MemberMember

Using flake food and a fishless cycle it will be tough to get it done before Christmas since you just started. Your options as I see them are to continue to go with the fishless cycle and don't worry about a date. Some get done in 3 or 4 weeks and some take 8 weeks. If you are dead set on having fish by Christmas get some of the fish and a bottle of Tetra Safe Start as mentioned above.
    When i was cycling my 75 gal tank my ammonia stayed between .25 and .50 for about 7 weeks and I never did see nitrites or nitrates indicating I was still in the beginning stages of the cycle. I used the TSS and it was successful in 7 days. Also if you don't have any fish in the tank crank the heater up that can help speed along the process.

5. erk419New MemberMember

Instead of using fish flakes I would go and by a bottle of pure ammonia and follow the fishless cycle method. Also if you can get your hands on some filter media from a cycled mature tank that will help speed things along.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice