Cycling Question

1. Plecosaurous Initiate Member

Hello,
    I am thinking of picking up a small 5 gallon Betta tank sometime soon and was wondering about the cycling process. In my apartment we already have 4 fish tanks up and running. Could I siphon water from one of my running tanks into the new Betta tank, and would that eliminate the need for cycling??

2. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

The water isn't really where the bacterial colony lives. It is in the filter media and gravel. You could put some extra media in an existing, cycled tank now and letting it grow the bacteria. You could also add some of the gravel to the new tank.

3. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

The water doesn't contain enough bacteria to cycle a tank. You'd rally be only transfering nitrates.
    Stick an extra filter sponge or some kind of filter media in your establushed tank.
    Leave it there for at least 2 weeks. That'll allow enough bacteria to grows on it to cycle a 5g tank.

Everyone's catching the Betta bug!

4. Plecosaurous Initiate Member

I guess I'll go purchase the tank tomorrow and start cycling it so that I can have my new baby for Christmas! MTS has hit really hard, our apartment has 3 55 gallons, 1 30 gallon, and 1 10 gallon. Been wanting a cute Betta to put by my bed for a while, and had a good week in tips this week so have some extra money to spend. Might as well give a fish a new home!

5. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

IMO, if you're getting the tank tomorrow you can also get your fish.
    Take a big handful of gravel (as mentioned above) put it in some panty hose hang it in the new tank. You can also cut a peice of filter media from one of your tanks and put it in the 5g.
    You really should have an instant cycle. Just keep a close eye on the parameters for a couple of weeks.

If you don't add a fish or some sort of ammonia source, the bacteria on the seed material will die off.

Can't wait to see which baby you bring home. :)

6. Plecosaurous Initiate Member

Why would I put the gravel in panty hose?

7. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

That's if you don't want that particular substrate in your tank. If it's in a pantyhose, then you can add whatever substrate you want (or go bare bottom) in your 5g and after a couple weeks and the new substrate has developed it's own bacteria, you can simply take the pantyhose out and dump the gravel back in the original tank.

If you want the same gravel in your new 5g then you don't need to put it in a pantyhose. :)

8. Plecosaurous Initiate Member

Good thinkin!!

9. flyin-lowe Well Known Member Member

I just bought a 10 gal kit and what I did was take out the filter that came with the kit and started in running in 75 G tank I have already cycled. After a week or two I am going to remove a small amount of gravel from the 75 and the filter and put it in the 10 gal and hopefully I will be ready to go. You can also put some of the decorations you have in one of your other tanks in the small tank as it will have good bacteria on it as well.