Cycling question. Question

1. m-corbett1 Initiate Member

So, I'm new to keeping fish and fishlore, I have had my tank going for probably 3 months now. I've had some casualties, and accidents, but I'm learning. I did a 25% water change 3 days ago and yesterday I got 2 platys and 3 guppies. This morning I woke up and saw my water was getting cloudy. Is this a mini cycle or whatever theyre called... and if so what caused it?:;dk

Thanks, Mike.

2. Scott H Member Member

sounds like a mini cycle to me either that or it wasn't cycled fully to begin with, also the cloudy water sounds like a bacteria bloom which often happens during a cycle.

its not all bad news though if you do 50% water changes every day and keep testing for ammonia and nitrates and as soon as the ammonia disappears and you see some nitrates that means that your tank is cycled and you can go back to doing your regular water changes.

as to what caused the mini cycle, it was probably adding the new fish or your filter isn't big enough.

hope that helps and i hope your aquarium comes good soon!

3. m-corbett1 Initiate Member

thanks scott.

4. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Hi, I have to disagree with scott a bit, as his answer does not consider nitrites.

read this page: nitrogen cycle

this is it in a nutshell.
    Basically, your tank has ammonia from the waste. The beneficial bacteria living on the surface of your gravel and filter media eats the ammonia, changing it to nitrite. Another beneficial bacteria converts that into nitrates.

Any amount of ammonia or nitrites can be lethal to fish. A small amount of nitrates are fine (5-20). Once your tank is cycled, it means you have enough benefical bacteria growing to eat all the ammonia and nitrites, making your tank a healthy place to live. Your readings should be 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and 5-20 nitrates.

You need a good liquid test kit. The strips won't give accurate readings. API master test kit is highly recommended.

At this point, you should test your water. If your readings are different than above, you should do daily water changes with the addition of a conditioner called Prime made by seachem. It's a conditioner that will take care of chlorine, etc., in your tap water while at the same time detoxifying ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates for 24 hours at a time (that's why the daily water changes).

If your readings are good, then you're probably just having a bacteria bloom, which is normal in a new tank.

I hope this helps. :)

5. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

+2
    welcome to fishlore!!!!!!!!
    once you get a more reliable test kit, (liquids are best as suggested) you will know exactly where you stand..very seldom will you have cloudy water when there isnt ammonia/nitrites present ...good luck!

6. m-corbett1 Initiate Member

Thanks to both of you :D. I did a 30% water change, I added stress coat and stress zyme. Is this alright?... I'm getting the master test kit for xmas...and my hood... so. I'll just keep doing water changes until then just to be safe.

7. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Stress zyme doesn't contain nitrifying, aquatic bacteria. (BTW, Neither does Cycle). Only Tetra Safe Start has the correct bacteria.

Stress Zyme and like products will only work if you add them for the life of the tank, usually weekly. The becteria they contain eats all the ammonia in your tank, and doesn't let the correct bacteria to grow. If I were you, I would stop using it. You may want to do a search in this forum's search engine to get more opinions on the product. Also, I like stress coat, but I think it doesn't detoxify ammonia, etc., so your fish can still get ammonia poisoning. I would consider getting a bottle of Prime if I were you.

By the way, if you can get your hands on some, Tetra Safe Start is a great product. Type that into the search engine too. If you decide to use it, make sure you've researched how to use it properly. It's a bit finicky, and I cn tell you from personal experience that it's not fun or cheap to have to use 4 bottles of something that needed only one bottle becuase you kept messing up. :)

8. m-corbett1 Initiate Member

hmmm..okay i'll buy some prime and ill look into the tetra safe start..i can get my hands on anything rly.... we have a ly great LFS around here and i work at a sorta kinda pet store (long story)... but we sell supplies... we just got rid of our fish last onth cuz we werent selling enough =/.... but yea my boss is a fish wizz.. ill talk to him all about this convo. =D i cant tell you enough, thank you =D

9. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

you're very welcome, good luck. also, it would be cool to know what your boss says, see how our advice compares to a pet store owner's. :)

oh, and since you aren't getting your test kit until christmas, maybe you could take in a sample of your water to a fish store for testing? i know petsmart and petco will do it free. petsmart here uses strips, but petco actually uses the api liquid ammonia test (but strips for the other readings).

I ordered my api master test kit off amazon for 10 dollars less than the stores here, and that included shipping, you might want to pass that on to your parents or santa or whoever is getting you the gift.

10. m-corbett1 Initiate Member

yea.. my boss will test it for me. and thanks for teh tip =D