Cycling question

Tainum

Reaction score
So, I understand the process of cycling and what there is behind it. I understand the process of Ammonia>Nitrite>Nitrate. The thing I don't understand and I don't seem to find a forum on it is that what about work arounds? I understand that Nitrate in small quantities is okay for fish, that being said, is there a possibility of having 0 across the 3 and having surviving fish? If you added nothing to the water but conditioner for your fish, and added a Fluval Ammonia reducer packet inside the filter and continuously having no ammonia, nitrite or nitrate, is there something that could actually kill the fish? If there is, what is it and why? This is something I cannot find discussed anywhere.

Donthemon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years

GumYu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Cichlidude used a diy system to establish anaerobic bacteria to consume the nitrates, i believe he used Matrix

TheeLadyG used a combination of MarinePure media in her canister to establish some anaerobic bacteria, and also the back glass of her tank is covered with green algae to consume some of the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate

Skavatar has a patio pond with Pond Matrix in his canister, and also the inside of the stock tank is covered in green algae to help keep nitrates really low.

there is also a product called Zeolite which absorbs and locks in ammonia. it can be recharged with salt.

besides nitrates, there are other toxins, organic compounds, dissolved solids, etc that need to be removed from the tank, also water changes replenishes trace minerals and nutrients that get used up by the bacteria, plants, fish, etc. this can result in "old tank syndrome" Large Or Small Water Changes (discussion) - Water Changes 393921

Vinh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I think unnatural thing like all chemical you add in fish tank every day will soon become poisoning and kill your fish including tap water contain,ammonia reduce,food,contain of decoration but not limit to...parasite,bad bacteria,temp ,water circulation
We have fish but not in natural condition that make us do water cycle ,water change now and then to keep water clean and safe as much as possible to keep live stock alive.

Tainum

Reaction score
Donthemon said:
Strange to never have nitrate but you can still get parasites and bacteria etc. Are you trying not to do water changes? Is your tank cycled? Looks like just set up on 10/10/19?
Lol, I'm not talking about my personal tank, I'm talking in general.

GumYu said:
Cichlidude used a diy system to establish anaerobic bacteria to consume the nitrates, i believe he used Matrix

TheeLadyG used a combination of MarinePure media in her canister to establish some anaerobic bacteria, and also the back glass of her tank is covered with green algae to consume some of the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate

Skavatar has a patio pond with Pond Matrix in his canister, and also the inside of the stock tank is covered in green algae to help keep nitrates really low.

there is also a product called Zeolite which absorbs and locks in ammonia. it can be recharged with salt.

besides nitrates, there are other toxins, organic compounds, dissolved solids, etc that need to be removed from the tank, also water changes replenishes trace minerals and nutrients that get used up by the bacteria, plants, fish, etc. this can result in "old tank syndrome" Large Or Small Water Changes (discussion) - Water Changes 393921
Since you listed the other potential negative impacting entities like the toxins, organic compounds, etc, do you know of any that pose a hazard? Is there any evidence behind this as well as the "minerals and nutrients that get used up by the bacteria, plants, fish, etc."

GumYu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
The link in my previous post talks about those toxins and how it leads to old tank syndrome.

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Tainum said:
So, I understand the process of cycling and what there is behind it. I understand the process of Ammonia>Nitrite>Nitrate. The thing I don't understand and I don't seem to find a forum on it is that what about work arounds? I understand that Nitrate in small quantities is okay for fish, that being said, is there a possibility of having 0 across the 3 and having surviving fish? If you added nothing to the water but conditioner for your fish, and added a Fluval Ammonia reducer packet inside the filter and continuously having no ammonia, nitrite or nitrate, is there something that could actually kill the fish? If there is, what is it and why? This is something I cannot find discussed anywhere.
The only problem I see with it is that it needs constant human intervention to maintain. In my cycled tanks, with pre-preparation, they can be set up to run and require minimal intervention for 6 weeks at a time. I travel and my fish watchers can't change water. Ive been gone up to 6 weeks this year. My cichlid tank is overstocked. I came back to nitrates about 60ppm A couple of 50% changes fixed it.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom