Cycling Question

Steve34k

Reaction score
Ok tank is 75g. 50lb dry rock 5 live. 60lb live sand. Store sold me 2 fish a week ago. Said after 2 weeks would b ok. How will ammonia nitrite remover effect my cycle. I know should never had added fish now

MrBryan723

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Are the fish still alive? What are your levels? What kind of fish are you using to cycle the tank. Sorry fish store people can be garbage with their recommendations.
Usually in a tank that size with hardy fish they would be fine, especially if the live rock is mature. You need ammonia and nitrite and nitrate all in your tank to be able to actually cycle it so removing them before it is cycled is not the route to take.
I would watch the levels to make sure they stay pretty low and do water changes accordingly. I know thewater changes are a pain in saltwater tanks.

MrBryan723

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That's actually not bad for a fish in cycle, as long as the levels stay around there and start to decline over the next 2 or so weeks you're in good shape. Nitrate is already good and you want it to stay around 5 to 10.

Jesterrace

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
MrBryan723 said:
Are the fish still alive? What are your levels? What kind of fish are you using to cycle the tank. Sorry fish store people can be garbage with their recommendations.
Usually in a tank that size with hardy fish they would be fine, especially if the live rock is mature. You need ammonia and nitrite and nitrate all in your tank to be able to actually cycle it so removing them before it is cycled is not the route to take.
I would watch the levels to make sure they stay pretty low and do water changes accordingly. I know thewater changes are a pain in saltwater tanks.
Water changes aren't really a pain in saltwater tanks, they aren't as easy as say using a freshwater python system, but beyond that you run water through RODI mix in the salt and make sure it's well dissolved and make sure it is the same temp as your tank and then simply drain the old and put in the new.

OP
S

Steve34k

Reaction score
Should I do water change before cycle is complete but

Jesterrace

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Steve34k said:
Ok tank is 75g. 50lb dry rock 5 live. 60lb live sand. Store sold me 2 fish a week ago. Said after 2 weeks would b ok. How will ammonia nitrite remover effect my cycle. I know should never had added fish now
The first thing you need to do is get some Seachem Prime in there as it will help convert the toxic stuff to non-toxic so that the situation is more bearable for the fish. The next thing is that you are probably using an API kit, which is well known for being inaccurate for saltwater. Red Sea, Salifert, Hannah, Nyos are all better choices for accuracy in testing in saltwater tanks. The 3rd is that Dry Rock generally takes long to establish a biofilter, so plan on a 30-60 day total cycle in there (not saying it will take that long for sure, I'm just saying don't be surprised).

OP
S

Steve34k

Reaction score
OK I’m back. It’s almost a month. Ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 10 ph8.4. Fish have survived. Can I safely say it’s done?

Jesterrace

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I would get another test kit to confirm for sure. I just don't trust API for saltwater testing. You will want another kit going forward anyways since API is notoriously inaccurate for nitrates.

ReefShark

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Please suggest a test kit for saltwater. I am cycling a 55 gallon saltwater tank now. I have had some live rock/live sand in it for the past two weeks.

OP
S

Steve34k

Reaction score
Red Sea or salifert I’ve been recommended by others here

New Threads