Cycling Question

ValerieAdams

Fishlore VIP
Messages
4,522
Reaction score
3,657
Points
198
Experience
1 year
I am a little less than a week in. I started off with 8 ppm ammonia, 0 ppm Nitrite & 5 ppm Nitrate. Today I’m at 4 ppm Ammonia, 1-2 ppm Nitrite & 10-20 ppm Nitrate (the two oranges on the sheet look SUPER similar). Should I do a water change to reduce the Nitrate or just let it go?
 

Jenoli42

Well Known Member
Messages
1,348
Reaction score
830
Points
98
Experience
4 years
ValerieAdams said:
I am a little less than a week in. I started off with 8 ppm ammonia, 0 ppm Nitrite & 5 ppm Nitrate. Today I’m at 4 ppm Ammonia, 1-2 ppm Nitrite & 10-20 ppm Nitrate (the two oranges on the sheet look SUPER similar). Should I do a water change to reduce the Nitrate or just let it go?
Hi, sorry if i've missed other threads? are you doing a fish in cycle or fishless? that dictates what advice you get about water changes.

the other important thing we'd need to know is if you've used any bottled bacteria or "quick start" product.

if you're doing fishless, then i'd let your ammonia come down to zero, dose it up to 2ppm again within 24 hours and see if your bacteria process that within about 12 hours. don't change water. your cycle is coming along nicely. does your tap water have nitrates? or did you seed with cycled media?

if it's fish in, then i have very different advice...but i'm thinking that's unlikely given your numbers?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3

ValerieAdams

Fishlore VIP
Messages
4,522
Reaction score
3,657
Points
198
Experience
1 year
Jenoli42 said:
Hi, sorry if i've missed other threads? are you doing a fish in cycle or fishless? that dictates what advice you get about water changes.

the other important thing we'd need to know is if you've used any bottled bacteria or "quick start" product.

if you're doing fishless, then i'd let your ammonia come down to zero, dose it up to 2ppm again within 24 hours and see if your bacteria process that within about 12 hours. don't change water. your cycle is coming along nicely. does your tap water have nitrates? or did you seed with cycled media?

if it's fish in, then i have very different advice...but i'm thinking that's unlikely given your numbers?
I would definitely not do fish in (sorry just assumed it doesn’t really happen anymore lol). I used Dr. Tim’s ammonia & Doctor Tim’s One & Only Nitrifying Bacteria. My tap water does have nitrates. It was 5 ppm right out of the tap & I didn’t use cycled media
 

Jenoli42

Well Known Member
Messages
1,348
Reaction score
830
Points
98
Experience
4 years
ValerieAdams said:
I would definitely not do fish in (sorry just assumed it doesn’t really happen anymore lol). I used Dr. Tim’s ammonia & Doctor Tim’s One & Only Nitrifying Bacteria. My tap water does have nitrates. It was 5 ppm right out of the tap & I didn’t use cycled media
Righto, perfect. I think Dr Tim's says not to do a water change for a period of time on the instructions? Check that out.

My feeling is that you shouldn't change the water unless your nitrites get to 5ppm and get "stuck" there for 24 -48 hours. at that stage, you may want to consider a 50% pwc and see if they go down. if they don't, you're still cycling and the best advice is to wait. if they do, you're nearly finished cycling and they'll disappear in about 24-48 hours.

I haven't used dr tim's so if others have they may offer more specific advice for that product
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #5

ValerieAdams

Fishlore VIP
Messages
4,522
Reaction score
3,657
Points
198
Experience
1 year
Okay, so today my pH is 7.8, Ammonia is 1-2 ppm, Nitrite is 5 ppm, Nitrate is 20-40 ppm. Just keep waiting it out until ammonia and Nitrite is gone? Then redose ammonia and see if it processes that? Do I do a water change before I add the fish?
 

jdhef

Moderator
Messages
14,219
Reaction score
3,232
Points
583
Experience
More than 10 years
If your ammonia drops to 0ppm and you still have nitrites, you'll need to add ammonia once again, But once your nitrites are 0ppm and you are processing 2ppm of ammonia within 24 hours, you'll be cycled.

You will then want to do a large water change to get those nitrates as low as possible, before adding fish.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #7

ValerieAdams

Fishlore VIP
Messages
4,522
Reaction score
3,657
Points
198
Experience
1 year
I’m confused. Today my ammonia is 0, Nitrite is 2-5 ppm & Nitrate is 5 ppm. How did Nitrate go down? Do I need to add more ammonia?
 

jdhef

Moderator
Messages
14,219
Reaction score
3,232
Points
583
Experience
More than 10 years
Unless you performed a water change, your nitrates will not decrease....so I'm thinking testing error.

Yes you need to add ammonia. I would shoot for getting the ammonia level to 2ppm.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #10

ValerieAdams

Fishlore VIP
Messages
4,522
Reaction score
3,657
Points
198
Experience
1 year
jdhef said:
Unless you performed a water change, your nitrates will not decrease....so I'm thinking testing error.

Yes you need to add ammonia. I would shoot for getting the ammonia level to 2ppm.
I haven't done a water change so that's why I was confused. I've tested the same exact way every day, shaking the bottles and tubes like the directions say to. I don't know what would have changed

Mazeus said:
Do you have live plants in the aquarium?
Yes, several. Java Moss, Java Fern, Anubias Nana, Anubias Nana Petite, Crypt Wendtii, and Vallisneria Americana
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #12

ValerieAdams

Fishlore VIP
Messages
4,522
Reaction score
3,657
Points
198
Experience
1 year
Mazeus said:
Plants will use up some of the nitrates which may have caused the nitrate level to drop.
Okay, that's possible but it just seemed like such a HUGE change in 24 hours, I was very confused
 

Mazeus

Well Known Member
Messages
1,056
Reaction score
748
Points
103
ValerieAdams said:
Okay, that's possible but it just seemed like such a HUGE change in 24 hours, I was very confused
Yeah, I doubt they caused that much of a change, but may have contributed a bit.
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom