Cycling Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Karl, Aug 2, 2017.

1. KarlNew MemberMember

Ok, so i have a 36 Gallon bow front, low tech tank. I am running a aquaclear 70 filter and a fluval C4 filter. With lots of BIO....My question is i added the Dr Tim's bacteria and ammonia. I am watching the parameters (ammonia test and nitrite). When the cycle is done what percent of water change should i do? I seen a video where the woman said to do a 100% change...but that seems kinda drastic. Anyone else have any input on this?

2. losthero

lostheroValued MemberMember

Never do 100% because you will kill the bacterial colonies that you worked so hard to create.Do at most 30% water change between 3-4 weeks if it's your first water change. When you add new water use chlorinator and biology solutions.

3. Sassonic

SassonicValued MemberMember

That's not the way I cycle, but I can tell you this, I've never done a 100% water change except for if I had to cleanse a disease-infested tank. I am guessing the woman is operating under the assumption that the beneficial bacteria will be built-up in your filter and gravel/sand and therefore you can take out all the water to drop the nitrate level and fill up the tank again. But the cycle would then be interrupted so I don't see the point. I would do 30% water changes every other day for a week. Then wait another full week at least and then add a few fish and let the tank get established, and slowly add a few more over the period of two months. The tank will sustain life much better if you don't overcrowd it, especially early on...

4. Kellye8498

Kellye8498Well Known MemberMember

I usually do a 75-80% change if nitrates are pretty high which they can be after an intense cycling process but if they aren't crazy I just change enough water to get them to 10 or less. If my nitrates are 20 I do a 50% change to get them down to 10 for example. Sometimes I take a bit more to get them lower than 10 because they will just keep building up. I don't see any need to ever do a 100% water change unless you're starting over or have something really bad in the tank.

5. OP
    OP
    K

KarlNew MemberMember

Thanks for the replies...i just started it a few days ago and added the ammonia which is high (right where it should be) I only do the water change though only after the nitrates climb and the cycle is complete right? I was thinking of a 40% water change unless something is whacky.

6. JesseMoreira06

JesseMoreira06Well Known MemberMember

100% water change can be done but you'll most likely never need to, It won't kill your cycle, beneficial bacteria live in your media not the water. After I cycle my tanks I do about a 90% Water change before adding fish.

once your tank is cycled meaning parameters are 0 ammonia 0 nitrITes and whatever amount of nitrates then you do your water change, it also depends on how high your nitrates are , if they end up at example 100ppm then a 80-90% Will be nessecary, you want your nitrates to be under 20ppm before adding fish.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice