Cycling Question

1. BuddyD Member Member

That's right, i'm asking a cycling question.

Will my new 20 gallon long cycle quicker if I use 50% of water from my 30 gallon tank?

2. Katie13 Fishlore VIP Member

3. BuddyD Member Member

What in the water is beneficial?

4. goplecos Well Known Member Member

It will help some, but it would be better if you take a large rock or piece of deco and put in the new tank, that should have a lot of beneficial bacteria. What I do is use 50%-100% old substrate for smaller tanks.

5. Katie13 Fishlore VIP Member

The nitrogen cycle is the process of growing beneficial bacteria to convert ammonia to nitrites and nitrites to nitrates. Very little of that bacteria lies in the water.

6. OnTheFly Well Known Member Member

It won't hurt anything but you would get more benefit if you threw a handful of gravel in the tank, or any other hard object from your cycled tank.

7. Katie13 Fishlore VIP Member

Nearly all of my tank have gravel from other established tanks.

8. OnTheFly Well Known Member Member

If you use enough of it from a well established tank it is probably about as good as a chunk of filter sponge at jump starting a cycle. If the gravel doesn't happen to match the new decor you can throw it in a media bag, nylon stocking or whatever.

9. BuddyD Member Member

Don't use gravel. I use black sand. But I do have 4 rocks in tank. 3 Quartz Rock and 1 regular, I found all in the garden bed outside of the apartments we live in. (Don't tell the Manager!).

10. goplecos Well Known Member Member

Use the rocks, They will help. I hate buying beneficial bacteria, when you use your own for cheap.

11. Fashooga Well Known Member Member

Does your filter have another sponge or bio rings that you can throw into the new tank. Typically I keep like an extra bag of bio-rings or sponges in my filters so I can start a new tank or a QT on the fly w/o having to wait for a tank to do the cycle.

If you don't I would put an extra bag of media or sponges in the filter and let that soak for a few weeks and you'll cycle your tank quicker.

12. BuddyD Member Member

I only have the filter sponge currently in use. But I do have filter cartridges I can use.

13. Fashooga Well Known Member Member

Yeah drop whatever media be it sponge or rings into the filter if you have the room. Leave it there for a few weeks to a month and you should be able to transfer it to the new tank.