Cycling Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Pishies, Apr 8, 2017.

1. Pishies

Pishies Valued Member Member

Hi guys.

I have 3 small tanks I am trying to fishless cycle with fish flakes. I have added flakes everyday or every other day.

Size: 28L x 2
    14L x 1
    Temp 26 C
    PH 7.6

I put filter media, plants, gravel and ornaments from an established tank at the start in all 3 tanks.

API Test kit readings have been trace amounts of ammonia no nitrItes and no NitrAtes.

After 10 days I now have O ammonia 0 NitrItes and 5ppm of nitrAtes.

There are little snails in the tanks and the water is slightly brackish from driftwood.

Any chance the tanks have cycled?

2. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

Are you using a bacteria supplement? If you used only food flakes, cycling a tank usually takes months. And I'm wondering why your nitrates is so low too.

3. APierce

APierce Well Known Member Member

It's possible, but with tanks that small you might have some swings. How did the driftwood make the water brackish?

4. OP
    OP
    Pishies

Pishies Valued Member Member

I only used Prime to dechlorinate. No other bacterial supplement. I have read that, because I am in Australia, the bacterial supplements get irradiated in customs which make the supplements useless.

The water is turning brownish/yellow from the driftwood I put in the tanks.

5. APierce

APierce Well Known Member Member

Ahh, I understand, brackish also means it has salt in it. I have a brackish tank, but it isn't brownish yellow :)
    I doubt that the xray in customs kills the bacteria, but the length of time and heat/ cold would definitely kill it. It is possible you had enough bacteria from the stuff you used from the other tank, to just really kick start the cycle!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice