Cycling Q And White Spots On Betta's Head

1. M

Mperls New Member Member

Hello,

I recently bought a 3G tank, submersible heater set to 80F, and sponge filter for my betta, Bug. I've been working on cycling it with him inside (learned about fishless cycling too late), and it's been rough. A few times I thought he was done for, but with daily PWC (30-50%), aquarium salt for his gills, and Kanaplex (1st dose yesterday for what looked to me like the start of fin rot), he's bounced back. Seems to have developed permanent swim bladder disorder as a result unfortunately (doubt from overfeeding though as I only feed 1-2 pellets every other day) - he has trouble staying down and swims hard trying to fight his buoyancy. Otherwise he is pretty active - a huge improvement from the first few days when he just stayed at the bottom of his tank breathing heavily.

Anyhoos, I've been testing the water daily. It's been about 3 weeks since I got him. For the first week or two, I got 0.25 ammonia readings daily. PH 7.8. Then a few days of 0.25 nitrite reads daily. This only lasted 4 days or so. At this time I also read about Tetra Safe Start and added some of that. Today I got a read of 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and 5 nitrate! Am I close to being done? I was worried because I only introduced the sponge filter a few days ago and was worried it would disrupt everything. But I put the original filter media in the tank with it and left it there for about 3 days before I removed it (had to take it out to dose for Kanaplex since it's a carbon media). Was also worried my daily PWC would slow things down. I would be so happy if I was close to being done cycling, as we lost our first Betta due to our lack of knowledge on cycling and I didn't want to lose a 2nd.

My other question is, Bug has some white spots on his head. Doesn't really look like ich due to the size and flatness of the spot - does anyone know what it is?

Thanks for the help.

Attached Files:

2. Aquaphobia

Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

By the test results it does look like you're finished cycling! Your fledgling bacteria might not be well established yet though so don't stop testing and doing water changes just yet.

What dechlorination/water conditioner do you have? I would stop with the salt, it's an irritant and not really as useful as advertised on the box. There are already small quantities of salt in your water anyway unless you're using RO/DI.

3. OP
    OP
    M

Mperls New Member Member

Ok yay! I have both Amquel and Prime.
    I don't use RO water. Just tap. Got it with the salt. Do you have idea what the white spots could be on Bugs head? Thanks so much for your response.

4. Aquaphobia

Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Has he always had the spots? It could just be natural colouring and some Bettas will change colour over time. Or he could have scraped his head on something. Keep an eye on it and if the spots change we can look at it again. Could be normal though, I wouldn't worry about it :)

5. OP
    OP
    M

Mperls New Member Member

I feel like they developed when he got sick, but haven't gotten worse... okay will keep an eye on it and update if worse. Thanks:)