Cycling problem!

Blueberrybetta

I started cycling my 10gal tank on 1/14/20. I filled the tank with leftover spring water (about 7 gals) and the rest with my tap water.
I test both spring water and my tap water . My tap has 5ppm Nitrate & 1ppm Ammonia , the spring water has no ammonia but 5ppm nitrate. I used spring water for my old betta . I didnt add any water conditioner, but I do have Tetra AquaSafe if that needs to be added. I put a brand new filter and cartridge in and I added substrate with 3 plants and 2 moss balls. I've been adding fish flakes every 12 hours for 10 days now.

I've been testing the water every other day but today my nitrates read at .50ppm but I haven't seen any nitrites yet and I still have .25/.50 ammonia .

1/14
Ph 7.6
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 0ppm
Ammonia .50ppm

1/18
Ph 7.6
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 0ppm
Ammonia .50ppm

1/23
Ph 7.6
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 5.0 ppm
Ammonia.50 ppm

My ammonia won't go up or hasnt gotten darker any more but the nitrates turned light orange when yellow before.
Am I doing something wrong or is this normal? This is my first time cycling a tank and I know to look for all 3 parameters but I haven't seen nitrites yet.

Any tips or help ?? Thank you !
20200124_000307.jpg

david1978

First off is your tap water chlorinated? I really dislike the fish flake method. It takes time to break down so it may be 4 or 5 days before it starts converting to ammonia. And you have no way to know exactly how much you added to get the desired effect. Secondly in 9 days I wouldn't expect a bacterial colony yet unless you added seeded filter media or a bacterial starter. Patience grass hopper.

Blueberrybetta

First off is your tap water chlorinated? I really dislike the fish flake method. It takes time to break down so it may be 4 or 5 days before it starts converting to ammonia. And you have no way to know exactly how much you added to get the desired effect. Secondly in 9 days I wouldn't expect a bacterial colony yet unless you added seeded filter media or a bacterial starter. Patience grass hopper.

I believe my tap water is chlorinated but I add a water conditioner whenever I do water changes on my other tanks . But I know it takes a while to cycle, especially with fish flakes, but I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a problem seeing nitrates so quick .

I should be seeing an ammonia spike first, then turns to nitrites, then converts to nitrates with no ammonia or nitrites anymore , right? Double checking .

david1978

Yep that's pretty much how it should go but I have seen people skip over the nitrite part. Why? I don't really know.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
kered
Replies
Views
mattgirl
Replies
Views
Katie13
Replies